News OBS cuts the cord on Kepler GPU NVENC support — version 31.0.0 Beta 1 no longer works with GTX 600 and GTX 700 GPU hardware encoders

DS426

Upstanding
May 15, 2024
"The Kepler GPU architecture was Nvidia's first-ever GPU design, and..."

What?? No, the GeForce 256 was nVidia's first GPU. Need to reword as yes, NVENC was introduced with Kepler.

Reactions: ezst036 and kyzarvs

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
"If you want to encode on these very old GPUs..."

These young people today, they have an extremely distorted notion of time.

In terms of GPUs capable of NVENC, these are the oldest. CUDA was only 5 years before that. The beginning of the GPGPU era was in the early 2000s.

Prior to that you wouldn't even have the notion of running non-display tasks on a GPU.

AkroZ

Reputable
Aug 9, 2021
In terms of GPUs capable of NVENC, these are the oldest. CUDA was only 5 years before that. The beginning of the GPGPU era was in the early 2000s.

Prior to that you wouldn't even have the notion of running non-display tasks on a GPU.
GPGPU existed long before CUDA. Since Vertex Shaders was introduced with the Geforce 3 (2001), the programming pipeline was sometimes used for other tasks as you can read the resulting data instead of displaying it, but this was hacky. Some IT papers were showing good results in using the GPU instead of the CPU for parrallel tasks.
One day someone published a driver to program nvidia graphic cards, nvidia hired him and some years laters cuda was born.

crunchylayer4

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2017
"The Kepler GPU architecture was Nvidia's first-ever GPU design, and..."

What?? No, the GeForce 256 was nVidia's first GPU. Need to reword as yes, NVENC was introduced with Kepler.
NV1 was their first GPU. SGS Thomson manufactured the chips for them. The Diamond Edge 3D board also functioned as an audio interface and game controller input. It came bundled with Sega Virtua Fighter. Back in the day, I bought one at Fry's Electronics.

Giroro

Splendid
There's probably some really good technical reason behind the scenes for why they had to drop support, but I'm not seeing what that would be.
My initial reaction was "At least it's not Maxwell, they shouldn't drop support for Maxwell", even though Maxwell is only 2 years newer, and I have no idea why that's where I draw the line. I thought maybe because they still sell the GT 730... which is Fermi/Keppler based and lacks NVENC regardless of what die was thrown in there.

Then I remembered that the Nintendo Switch uses a Maxwell chip from 2015. That's weird to think about.