[SOLVED] OC for CPU and ram

Jan 15, 2021
hi. im trying to improve my pc specs ( i5 2500k, NH-D14 DUAL RADIATOR CPU COOLER, mb z68 gen 3, 64 gb ssd for windows, CORSAIR KIT 2X4 13333MHZ and just bought ASUS CERBERUS-GTX1050TI-O4G GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 ( i hope it will fit in :)
...and i wanna ask
  1. what improvment shoudl i see for OC the i5 2500k
  2. i wanna buy some ram and i wanna know if its worth of keeping the ram or should i replace with 2x8 gb and what mhz? ...should i OC the new ram?
tx

Solution
thanks for your reply

so , 16 gb ram wont make a differentce and i should kepp my 8 gb ram ?
tx
More ram only helps if you need more ram.

It's kind of hard to explain but think about it like this:
If you have a game that needs 8 gigs of ram exactly, and never changes (nevermind background tasks. imagine the game only) and you have 8 gigs. and your pc is on 99% memory usage (say again, nothing is running in background at all) you will get the full performance, but say the game needs 9 gigs, if you have only 8 gigs, the game will either run so slow it's unplayable, or just outright crash.
Say you then upgrade to 16 gigs you will be back to full performance, same as if the game was 8 gigs.
Not worth it to upgrade ram.
If you desperately need 16gigs, sure, but buying ddr3 now is really a waste. You're more likely to be bound in other ways much faster (since that pc is quite dated)
OCing a 2500k might help a little, but i'd say 10% or so in productivy, and around 3% in modern games since modern games need more cores, not faster ones (well, both, but it's like, enough cores, then faster ones.)

Jan 15, 2021
Not worth it to upgrade ram.
If you desperately need 16gigs, sure, but buying ddr3 now is really a waste. You're more likely to be bound in other ways much faster (since that pc is quite dated)
OCing a 2500k might help a little, but i'd say 10% or so in productivy, and around 3% in modern games since modern games need more cores, not faster ones (well, both, but it's like, enough cores, then faster ones.)

thanks for your reply

tx

thanks for your reply

tx
16gb would probably help but you are putting money into obsolete hardware. The big issue is a 4 core 4 thread old cpu, it’s just not up to modern games.

For overclocking let’s say you get 30fps in a game and it’s only the cpu limiting performance. You then overclock by 10%, you might now achieve 32-33fps at best.

thanks for your reply

tx
More ram only helps if you need more ram.

It's kind of hard to explain but think about it like this:
If you have a game that needs 8 gigs of ram exactly, and never changes (nevermind background tasks. imagine the game only) and you have 8 gigs. and your pc is on 99% memory usage (say again, nothing is running in background at all) you will get the full performance, but say the game needs 9 gigs, if you have only 8 gigs, the game will either run so slow it's unplayable, or just outright crash.
Say you then upgrade to 16 gigs you will be back to full performance, same as if the game was 8 gigs.

Solution
Hmm my own experience of a 4670k system a couple of years ago upgrading from 8gb to 16gb did help a little. With 8gb although the system wasn’t using more than 7gb there was a lot of swapping to the SSD which put additional load on the cpu I didn’t really have capacity for. When I went to 16gb the amount of swapping to the SSD reduced and helped reduce the load on the cpu.

I am not saying it’s worth investing in DDR3 today. However because of the way Windows handles memory you don’t need to see >90% RAM usage to benefit from additional RAM as Windows will start caching to the main drive before you get that high usage.