[SOLVED] OC for GTX 1050 TI ?

Solution
Hey there,

The easiest way, and often with very decent results, is to use the built in OC Scanner in Afterburner.

Go to the settings of Afterburner, and put a tick in the box of 'Unlock voltage control/Unlock Voltage monitoring. Then restart Afterburner. Then go to the OC Scanner and run it. It may take 10 mins or slightly longer to configure. Once done, you can save the OC in a profile and have it start with windows if you want. You can also then switch between the stock profile and the OC profile to test and compare.

You can of course, manually do all of this. With some knowhow, you can get slightly better results than the OC Scanner. But for simplicity the OC Scanner is great.
Hey there,

The easiest way, and often with very decent results, is to use the built in OC Scanner in Afterburner.

Go to the settings of Afterburner, and put a tick in the box of 'Unlock voltage control/Unlock Voltage monitoring. Then restart Afterburner. Then go to the OC Scanner and run it. It may take 10 mins or slightly longer to configure. Once done, you can save the OC in a profile and have it start with windows if you want. You can also then switch between the stock profile and the OC profile to test and compare.

You can of course, manually do all of this. With some knowhow, you can get slightly better results than the OC Scanner. But for simplicity the OC Scanner is great.

Solution

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Every card is different, there are no universal settings for each, overclocking is trying countless times until it's stable.
Hey there,

Don't auto OC tools just pump dumb amounts of voltage to try to keep it stable? those tools have always been crap imo, yet manufacturers keep trying so hard to make overclocking a mainstream thing for some reason. Even a monkey could overclock by maxing out the power limit and voltage sliders, meh. Tho it could be ok to get an approximate frequency and then fine tune from there, wouldn't recommend it for 24/7 usage. first core then vram, not both at the same time, that's how I do it anyway.

Every card is different, there are no universal settings for each, overclocking is trying countless times until it's stable.

Don't auto OC tools just pump dumb amounts of voltage to try to keep it stable? those tools have always been crap imo, yet manufacturers keep trying so hard to make overclocking a mainstream thing for some reason. Even a monkey could overclock by maxing out the power limit and voltage sliders, meh. Tho it could be ok to get an approximate frequency and then fine tune from there, wouldn't recommend it for 24/7 usage. first core then vram, not both at the same time, that's how I do it anyway.

From MSI website:

'
Here's how OC Scanner works
The OC Scanner is essentially a tool that uses an algorithm developed by NVIDIA for the RTX 20 series graphics cards. Within just a few minutes it will run a process that will determine the highest stable overclock settings for your graphics card. The process consists out of the same basic steps as manual overclocking, being: increasing clockspeed by one step, then stressing the GPU to see if this clockspeed is stable. If the clockspeed is stable under load, the clockspeed will be upped by another step and the GPU will be stressed once more. This process repeats itself until the GPU fails to maintain stability under load. At that point, the last known stable clockspeed will be set as the maximum value. This process will repeat itself 4 times to cover 4 different Voltage levels. It does this because the OC Scanner algorithm uses the so-called Voltage/Frequency Curve. This curve works by matching the values of clockspeeds to corresponding values of voltage that can sustain those clockspeeds. By doing this you will get a curve where higher voltages are required to run at higher clockspeeds. Out of the box the last few generations of graphics cards have used this curve. What OC Scanner does is to see how far the curve can be safely adjusted to provide higher clockspeeds. '

I don't disagree with you necessarily, but the results with OC Scanner can be rewarding for someone who has no experience OC'ing. I'd agree too that OC a GPU isn't too difficult, and can be done in 30 mins. I've done it countless times. But not everyone wants to do that.

I'm trying to locate a good review I've read recently that show the results of a manual OC, and one done by the scanner, are veyr close in terms of performance and settings. I'll link it if I can find it.

With all that said, I manually OC mine too.