[SOLVED] OC I7 6700K temps

Aug 31, 2021
Hello I recently overclocked my cpu to 4.5ghz from the base 4.0 its at 1.325 volts and so far has been stable through stress test but my temps don't seem right prior to ocing the max temps I'd see were around 60-63c now I've seen it go up to 80c while gaming, I know the temps would increase but it seems a bit drastic to have it go up like 20c I was just wondering if maybe I did something wrong with the voltage if its too high or if this is normal thanks in advance.
Specs
i7-6700k 4.5ghz
Bequiet dark rock pro 4
MSI Z170A PC MATE
16gb of crucial ballistix sport 2400
2 intake fans 2 exhaust fans
1000watt PSU

Solution
About right for Skylake. 80C is far from throttling. If you can drop the voltage a little bit and maintain stability, probably worth it. You can also try a little undervolt on the memory to make things a little cooler.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
About right for Skylake. 80C is far from throttling. If you can drop the voltage a little bit and maintain stability, probably worth it. You can also try a little undervolt on the memory to make things a little cooler.

Solution
try less voltage...; that seems more than needed for just 4.5 GHz all core....

(Intel's XTU will let you apply some negative offset, and/or, try an even higher all-core multiplier setting, as 4.7 GHz should not be overly unusual/outrageous for a 6700K)