Question OC i7 920 D0 to 3.4Ghz P6T SE

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not really seeing any questions. Are you wanting to go farther?

You aren't at the max multiplier, certainly not the maximum BCLK. Your choice of memory might make it tricky to do more though. Certainly room on the CPU voltage as well.

165x6 is pretty tame, but with 1066 memory in the mix, that might be all you can do.

I've seen BCLKs as high as 220 function, but that would put all the memory closer to 1333Mhz.

I used to run 161x10 for DDR3 1600 and an i7-950 running at 161x23 for 3.7Ghz core voltage at 1.185 as I recall.

Reactions: vipa415

vipa415

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
Well, i wonder if the DDR @ 992mhz could be higher? On first time saving the settings the pc crashed, lowered the DRAM to 992 and it booted, seems stable. Could have been a one time incident dont know :)
Should i have the current settings otherwise? I uploaded two screens of my settings.

Should i lower, or raise the vcore, higher baseclocks?

Thanks for the help (A)

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Kind of hard to say, been something like 7 years since I had an x58 system.

Memory speed is least important to performance, but more is better of course. Since you are using the lowest multiplier, not really any way to go down. You can try throwing more voltage at the memory and see if it will run faster. But I wouldn't expect the world out of 1066 1.5v memory.

Increase in CPU core voltage may allow you to go up that last multiplier. But that depends on your temperatures.

To optimize the CPU. If it is stable now, you can try reducing the voltage to save on power a little.

Every CPU, memory, and board is unique. You just have to fiddle with it until you are satisfied that is as fast as it will go.

vipa415

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
Ok, but my current cpu voltage is rather low already?
Was also thinking of going 170x21 for a clockspeed of 3570, assume that won't hurt anything?

Edit: temps are same as before the overclock, during like for like operations then.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
People have run i7-920 at 4.4Ghz or so, not going to hurt if if you keep the voltage below 1.4 volts or so (takes like 1.5+ to run 4.4Ghz, water cooling). All about the temperature though, don't push it in huge jumps.

That would only put you at 1020Mhz on the memory.

As I recall from my testing back then there are 'islands of stability' some BCLK are just not like. I recall having issues around 170, but that was almost certainly my efforts to keep the memory clocks up. Paid like $300 for memory back then...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I've got a P6T Delux with 920 DO running at 4GHz, 3x 4GB 1600 Gskill ram. I just had a look to see what the lowest ram speed is for 191 BCLK was, it's 1149. Could get away with it.

Im not sure if both your ram has XMP profile but if they do, try set XMP instead of manual so dram timings are entered properly under dram timing control. Mixing with different timings? might be a problem though. It is possible to modify the timings a bit, increasing each value by 1 or 2. Ram might work together better with the OC if timings were looser, depending what the bios sets for the both of them.

Try these;

CPU Ratio: 21
BCLK FREQ: 191
DRAM FREQ: 1149
UCLK FREQ: 2298

CPU VOLTAGE: 1.27
CPU PLL: 1.91
QPI/DRAM 1.27
DRAM V: 1.55v

SPEEDSTEP: Disabled
HT on or off depending on temps.

Newegg are still selling 1600MHz DDR3 4GB sticks if interested.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-8gb-...tion=ddr 3&cm_re=ddr_3-_-20-231-428-_-Product

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
I had a 920 at 3.8 that’s all it would do with water cooling so I upgraded to a Xeon x5660 and got that to 4.5ghz and that’s 2 more cores a 4 more threads so it boost performance alot

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I had a 920 at 3.8 that’s all it would do with water cooling so I upgraded to a Xeon x5660 and got that to 4.5ghz and that’s 2 more cores a 4 more threads so it boost performance alot

Oh really, just bad luck? What temps were you seeing? How much cpu voltage were you applying? What cooler?

Noctua NH D12 (Antec 902 case, 2 intakes, rear / top exhaust) keeps my 920 at 4 pretty cool under load, no more than 72c running IBT with HT on, low 20s ambient room temp.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Temps weren’t too bad like maybe 68-70c suuuuuper crappy asetek cooler from like 2009 but it was still kicking and I knew the build was gonna be janky I built the pc for around 50-60$ The voltage was around 1.5. and then I put the Xeon in it cranked up the ghz and I used a 100cfm bathroom fan to suck all the air through the radiator and even then the temps were around 70c but 993 on r15 I couldn’t complain.... other than the wind noise

vipa415

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
Try these;

CPU Ratio: 21
BCLK FREQ: 191
DRAM FREQ: 1149
UCLK FREQ: 2298

CPU VOLTAGE: 1.27
CPU PLL: 1.91
QPI/DRAM 1.27
DRAM V: 1.55v

SPEEDSTEP: Disabled
HT on or off depending on temps.

That would translate into a 4ghz base clock, and over 1066mhz for the ram, abit on the high side? Also, speedstep is good for when the pc is in idle?

Another thing, where does the 920 @3.6ghz boost to? Ive it at 3.6ghz now, temps seem unchanged on the D0 system. Another system has temps 10c higher (same OC)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ram can run higher speeds if system is stable. It's all in the cpu/ram voltage and timings. Subjective to heat of course, don't want to cook the cpu.

I left speed step off to avoid any interruption that may cause my oc to fail.

Last edited:

vipa415

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
Ram can run higher speeds if system is stable. It's all in the cpu/ram voltage and timings. Subjective to heat of course, don't want to cook the cpu.

I left speed step off to avoid any interruption that may cause my oc to fail.

Ok got the C0/C1 @4ghz (your settings), temps seemed a notch higher during the same session in bf4, from 65/67 to 70 on some cores, some cores 65c. Seems respectable. This system has a mix of 1333/1600 ram, going to test later on the d0 920 system with its 1066/1333 mix ram setup. Speedstep/turbo/ht left enabled.

Thx for your input, abit more performance from those systems before they get obsolete when next gen consoles come ;)

No idea about the ram if they support XMP, left/gonna leave at auto.

vipa415

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
On the D0 system, the system doesn't always start, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't , i then get the message that the OC failed, some trys F10 save and exit might work. When the system boots everything works as it should. I even encouter this problem at lower overclocks (3.4ghz). No idea what the problem is.

This system runs alot cooler then the C0/C1, a whole 10c less. The C0 /C1 does about 65 to 70, which isn't anything to worry about?

Last edited:

vipa415

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
Temps are ok but mixed ram (different speeds/timings) wouldn't be helping, not at that level of overclock where memory sensitivity increases. Might be possible to get stable but wouldn't rely on auto memory settings.

So i want to follow up on my OC, it is running stable at 3.6Ghz now, vastly improved performance in BF4 TDM 64player maps, where i before the OC had massive lag, it is now perfectly smooth.

I have a strange problem though, after two hours, the game is having heavily microstutter problems, exit and restart the game, the problem is gone. It only happens after two hours, everything good before that. This started after the OC, no other problems then that, aside from sometimes the pc not booting (warns for bad OC), just going into the BIOS and saving fixes that, happens rarely.

Edit: temps are fine, between 55 and 60 degrees for the CPU, GPU max 73 (like before).

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Failed overclock could be because both ram are different, it's difficult to say but seeing they're different, it's easy to point a finger.

As for the micro stutters, usually after long periods of play if game doesn't dump useless information from ram to fill up with new data, the pagefile tends to grow.

I reckon you should get two sets of Gskill 1600 2x 4GB. Not sure, but think you can run 4 sticks in dual channel on a tripple channel board, if not, 3x 4GB in triple, the extra 4GB would be good. Might be able to push that chip further with better ram.

And an SSD if you don't have one and put Windows on it. Better pagefile speeds.

Last edited:

vipa415

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
Ok, right now i have triple channel, i think it wont matter so much for ingame performance to have triple or dual channel config?

As for the stuttering, it strikes me as weird, as everything is smooth up till two hours, then things stutter, heavily. Exit and start the game again and problem gone, for another two hours. The 8GB ram doesn't get filled to the max, about 7000mb according to msi afterburner was the max. CPU usage between 85 and 100%, GPU 100%, like before the OC.
Pagefile was about 8000mb.

I have been thinking about the SSD, they are cheap in special used. Ram too but have to see how im going to do it, i have more systems with DDR3, going to see if i can swap, to have a better match.

Also, i havent done anything in the bios regarding memory timings.

vipa415

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
Yeah won't notice much between dual and triple, was more about capacity.

Windows consumes 2~3GB for itself leaving not much out of 8. Paging happens well before all ram is used. An ssd will help, so will more ram.

Ok i tried @ stock settings, and then the lag doesnt appear to come after the two hours of play. It seems that when OC'ed, i get stuttering after 120minutes. I guess memory timings, as i havent touched those? It aint the temps, they are largely the same for every component.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Fetch errors perhaps. Recoverable page faults.

Certainly possible to get the memory speed and cache speed in the worst possible sync, so one or the other is always waiting. Not sure why that would evolve over time and not simply be an immediate issue though.