Question OC i7 920 D0 to 3.4Ghz P6T SE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vipa415

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
I can't see how timings alone could affect performance overtime but guess it's possible the system isn't fully stable. Just stable enough not to crash.

Fetch errors perhaps. Recoverable page faults.

Certainly possible to get the memory speed and cache speed in the worst possible sync, so one or the other is always waiting. Not sure why that would evolve over time and not simply be an immediate issue though.

After extensively playing BF4 @stock settings (reset BIOS defaults), i get some stutter after 2 to 3 hours play, but its far from as a severe as with the OC, although sometimes it can lag as bad as with the OC, just very shortly. It seems that the problem lies there before the OC, just that it gets worse with the OC. Very strange problem indeed, should try with the OC again, and see what happens with other games etc. Your on to something i think, maybe i should alter the page file settings? Right now its on a second drive (not the C drive where the game is on), windows managed size.

Restarting the game helps the problem, so it could be something with memory/hdd related.

vipa415

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
Whats your storage setup again? Is Windows/game on an ssd? Is pagefile on an ssd too or hdd?

Theres two hdd’s, 1TB each (seagate 7200rpm drives. Windows and bf4 are installed on the same drive, while the page file is set to the second drive, automatically managed by windows. There are no ssd’s involved.

vipa415

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
Oh ok. If you got an ssd and put Windows and your games on it, with the speeds of ssd enhancing pf speeds and 12GB ram, you'll be good as gold, guaranteed.

Im sure of that :p It remains a mystery though why the OC makes my game stutter so badly after two hours of play (while @stock, it does suffer after some hours, but far from as severe). Im having set ai tweaker to xmp, and altered ddr3 speeds to lowest, will see if it does help with the timings.

vipa415

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
You need to get some good Gskill ram and run your rig in triple channel. 12GB + ssd, just do it 👍

Yeah, i know, im looking. Here where i live prices for DDR3 are very high. Im going to start with an SSD and see where i can find some DDR3 kits. That, and another system, a 920 C0, with 8gb of crucial and kingston memory sticks, it doesnt have the same problem, all else hw being equal :p

vipa415

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
Yeah each system is going to be different i suppose. But i do know 8 GB really isn't enough nowadays, not when Win10 taxes almost 3GB. Pagefile goes wonkers and an ssd will help here along with more ram.

I'm on W7 for now, installing 10 when the SSD is in place, good timing for a reinstall anyway.
For now, i have alterned the dram timings to the lowest memory module.

The corsair vengeance is 9-9-9-24, whilest the Corsair XMS3 is at 9-7-7-20. So what i have done is alter to 9-7-7-20 in the BIOS. No idea if that even has any effect?
Had it on auto before, also had it at XMP (9-9-9-24).

Also, should i have the DRAM Bus voltage at 1.50v or a tad higher?

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Tightening the timings can improve performance but nothing really noticeable.

1.5v dram voltage is fine and is in Intel's spec, max 1.65v. Where to set dram voltage (also cpu volt) will be trial and error and depends on cpu/ram frequency, timings and stability.

Reactions: vipa415

vipa415

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
Ok, a follow up on this one. The problem doesn't occur when i play without Steam, i used to launch games via steam, and have the ingame webbrowser etc. Somehow, without steam running, i could play almost 4 hours straight without any lag occuring, that's with the overclock to 3.6ghz. DRAM bus voltage to 1.50 and CPU 1.2V.
I perhaps could lower the CPU voltage even more. Total ram useage wasn't more then 6GB, with steam its about 7.4GB max. Seems that Steam causes the problem over time, where restarting the game did help.

I'm on Windows 7, might be that. Il get W10 when ive got an SSD.

TRENDING THREADS