[SOLVED] OC my i5 750

Nemesis101

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
Dear community,

I'm back with another question about resurrecting my old PC. I've updated the RAM, GPU and the OS is on a SSD. Now I'm facing the max of my CPU. Like you guys told me. ^_^ An i5 750 is just ancient. Nothing wrong there, but it limits my GPU. With my newly (used) GPU, instead of the also ancient GTS 250, I just want to max my old games out. Point is I don't want to buy a new CPU, cause I want to build a completely new game pc in two years. I just want to let this one rise and shine. And changing the CPU is like changing the soul of this computer. New arm is oke, but the face is still pretty. So I was thinking about overclocking my current CPU. Eleven years ago a friend helped me build this pc and we had the intention of overclocking it. Problem was that the Master Cooler V8 was late to the party, so we opted to do it later. Then it wasn't necessary so we let it be. Ten years later the world has changed, but the CPU didn't.

So first question is it useful to overclock it? And if it is, how the hell should I do it? This is completely new for me and I don't get any wiser from all the information of the web. The complete build is down here.

PARTCURRENT
MOBOASUS P7P55D
CPUIntel i5 CPU 750 2.67GHz
RAM16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 (4x4gb)
GPUMSI R9 280 Twin Frozer 3GB
STATIONSSD 500GB + HDD 1TB 5400rpm
PSUCorsair 620W
CPU CoolerMaster Cooler V8
CASEMaster Cooler CM690

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nemesis101
Solution

Nemesis101

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
I have watched Linus overclocking guide closely and did the same as he did in the BIOS. Some things I couldn't find, like the C1E and the EIST. I did enabled the BCLK and changed the frequency to 185 and the voltage to 1.25. Didn't dare to go any higher actually. Also enabled the Load Line Calibration. Now I am running at 3711 MHz with a temperature of 44 degree when surfing and 50 degree when playing CoD MW3. The reason I use CoD MW3 as evaluation is that my Radeon software said the performance level was marginal. And I want to play the game on the best graphics setup there can be.

I'd love to get some feedback on this. ^_^ First time overclocking and I was totally not into computers when I started this project. xD

@SamirD The thing is I actually don't want to change the CPU. I just want to maximize the output and see where this baby goes and learn some new things about computers along the way.

ADD: Now the Radeon software now says excellent when playing CoD MW3. So that mission is accomplished. Now I only want to know if I did it properly and if I can go further than this. I use NZXTCam to monitor the performance of my CPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD
Forget about overclocking i5@750. That thing is supposed to rot in workstations and not in enthusiast rigs. I had it, tried to overclock in some madness obsession moments, but nothing good happened from that. In that previous thread I already told you what you can do with CPU in your current machine. Replace it with Xeon 3470 CPU. It is overclockable if motherboard does support OC.

Nemesis101

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
Forget about overclocking i5@750. That thing is supposed to rot in workstations and not in enthusiast rigs. I had it, tried to overclock in some madness obsession moments, but nothing good happened from that. In that previous thread I already told you what you can do with CPU in your current machine. Replace it with Xeon 3470 CPU. It is overclockable if motherboard does support OC.

I know what you told me about replacing my CPU. But I also explained that I didn't want to do so. Now I just trying to maximize the output of what I have and learn more about computers along the way. As I can see on the Radeon software the overclocking brings the performance level on CoD MW3 from marginal all the way towards excellent. So it does make a lot of difference. You explained earlier that the CPU is the bottleneck. That's true, so I'm finding a way to try to overcome it. It also starts to become a challenge to get the most out of it. ^_^

I have watched Linus overclocking guide closely and did the same as he did in the BIOS. Some things I couldn't find, like the C1E and the EIST. I did enabled the BCLK and changed the frequency to 185 and the voltage to 1.25. Didn't dare to go any higher actually. Also enabled the Load Line Calibration. Now I am running at 3711 MHz with a temperature of 44 degree when surfing and 50 degree when playing CoD MW3. The reason I use CoD MW3 as evaluation is that my Radeon software said the performance level was marginal. And I want to play the game on the best graphics setup there can be.

I'd love to get some feedback on this. ^_^ First time overclocking and I was totally not into computers when I started this project. xD

@SamirD The thing is I actually don't want to change the CPU. I just want to maximize the output and see where this baby goes and learn some new things about computers along the way.

ADD: Now the Radeon software now says excellent when playing CoD MW3. So that mission is accomplished. Now I only want to know if I did it properly and if I can go further than this. I use NZXTCam to monitor the performance of my CPU.
Nice OC! I don't know much about OC, but sounds like you accomplished your mission. Just remember that OC will potentially reduce the life.

Nemesis101

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
Nice OC! I don't know much about OC, but sounds like you accomplished your mission. Just remember that OC will potentially reduce the life.
Thanks Samir. You're right about the lifetime. But if this one dies it dies with the dignity of finally performing at his best. 11 years ago when I build this baby the intention was to upgrade it to expend the lifetime. Not for this long, wanted to buy a new after 8 years, but it became 11 years. Wife, three kids, dog, horse and a house came along the way, but the new computer stayed away. ;-)

Thanks Samir. You're right about the lifetime. But if this one dies it dies with the dignity of finally performing at his best. 11 years ago when I build this baby the intention was to upgrade it to expend the lifetime. Not for this long, wanted to buy a new after 8 years, but it became 11 years. Wife, three kids, dog, horse and a house came along the way, but the new computer stayed away. ;-)
Nice! I know the feeling--life happens!

Keep in mind that if/when the 750 goes, you can still get the x3470 and then even have more overclocking fun. :D Just be sure to save a dvd with a 'classic' windows installation on it. By then the OS might just be SaaS like everything else.

Nemesis101

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
Nice! I know the feeling--life happens!

Keep in mind that if/when the 750 goes, you can still get the x3470 and then even have more overclocking fun. :D Just be sure to save a dvd with a 'classic' windows installation on it. By then the OS might just be SaaS like everything else.
Thanks for the advice, never actually thought about that, and it's a good advice. Will put the OS on a flash drive. Let's hope he keeps doing it until I get the new one. :D

Nemesis101

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
What I just don't get is why the Radeon software now says marginal performance again. I didn't change anything and it declined from optimal to marginal. When the pc is idle the CPU is 34 degree, when I internet it's 43 degree and when I play the game it goes up to max. 63 degree. As far as I know that's still normal.

How come the Radeon software again says marginal performance? The only time the computer faces problems is when I want to internet, play the game and watch the Radeon software and NZXT. If I change to quickly between the program the CoD MW3 crashes.

Yesterday I hit a fps of 114, now it only says 54.5 fps.

Please enlighten me with your knowledge.

ADD: When I look in the NZXTCam program it states I reached an average fps of 114 when I last time played it, Radeon software says 54.5 fps. When I turn on the Synch every frame option ingame it can be laggy sometimes, so I turned it down. But I don't encounter any abnormalities when playing.

Last edited: