[SOLVED] OC my Ryzen 5 3600x makes my ram to fail

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 28, 2020
Hi, i tried to OC my ryzen 5 3600x to 4,250 Ghz, but when i restart my pc, i get ram fail under startup, what are im doing wrong? do i have to adjust my ram setting
I have Asus rog strix b550 f gaming, with amd ryzen 5 3600x and hyper fury 3200 ddr4 ram.

Solution
The SVI2/TFN value will change depending on the load. That's where Prime 95 Small FFT comes in.
I've read that when using hwinfo, the min, max, and average values should be ignored; it's what the Current value settles on.
Yes it does move around a lot on mine and I suppose it can do so differently depending on how motherboard VRM design works too. It's the true core voltage being reported by the processor so it also showing the effects of the the load line which is even more important to know when using a fixed voltage. In auto it's also showing the effects of the algorithm; hence the moving around is even more pronounced.

I wouldn't suggest completely ignoring min/max nor average. Max value is particularly important since...
4.375 ghz at 1.36v
:eek:
I wonder what SVI2/TFN - the true core voltage - reading is. On my 3700X, with auto voltage and VCore settings, the CPUz VCore reading is a scary 1.40 while SVI2/TFN is 1.325-ish (it moves around quite a bit) when running the CPUz stress test.

@Woofer : you can see what the SVI2/TFN core voltage is using HWInfo64. It should fluctuate some with processing load even using a fixed VCore voltage. It will fluctuate even more wildly in Auto as the algorithm adjusts voltage and frequency according to FIT to keep it safe.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I wonder what his SVI2/TFN - the true core voltage - reading is. On my 3700X, with auto voltage and VCore settings, the CPUz VCore reading is a scary 1.40 while SVI2/TFN is 1.325-ish (it moves around quite a bit) when running the CPUz stress test.
The SVI2/TFN value will change depending on the load. That's where Prime 95 Small FFT comes in.
I've read that when using hwinfo, the min, max, and average values should be ignored; it's what the Current value settles on.

Yes it does move around a lot on mine and I suppose it can do so differently depending on how motherboard VRM design works too. It's the true core voltage being reported by the processor so it also showing the effects of the the load line which is even more important to know when using a fixed voltage. In auto it's also showing the effects of the algorithm; hence the moving around is even more pronounced.

I wouldn't suggest completely ignoring min/max nor average. Max value is particularly important since that's what you look for to see if it's exceeding the AMD given "up to" 1.5V value for single thread/light load boosting. Important to know for tweaking VCore using offsets.

Since I use PBO, and leave volts/freq in auto, I look at the AVERAGE (reset the counters a few moments after starting it so the average isn't skewed) when running a stress test. I want the average to be 1.325-ish or lower to be safe for the processor.

And lastly: Ryzen 3k changes Pstates so darn fast and frequently, even while running a stress test, you have to run a more frequent monitoring interval to catch enough voltage changes to be meaningful. So I open up the HWInfo settings and change it from 2000mS to 500Ms, no more frequent than 200mS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

TRENDING THREADS