Occasional Massive Lag/Loading/Boot-up

NewPCBuild

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
Hey guys, so just recently I started encountering this really weird problem. There have been at least 2 separate occasions when I boot-up my PC (Windows 8.1), it will tells me that its "Repairing disk errors". Both times took around 30 mins to finish and even after that my PC was taking another 15 minutes to load while at the Start menu. In addition, on certain occasions like starting up Steam or any other programs really, my PC will randomly begin to load non-stop for a pretty good 10-30 mins before executing them. On other times my PC like any new PC would - blazing fast boot-up and loading of programs. Any idea what's happening? (When the lags happen, my CPU and Memory is barely beyond 30%)

I have defragged my PC, and also downloaded CCleaner to clear any registry errors that I may have. There's barely any start-up programs too.

My specs are as follow:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
MOBO: ASRock H97 PRO4
GPU: EVGA GTX760 2GB GDDR5 SC ACX
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866 CL9
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM 64MB
Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 Orange LED Mid Tower
PSU: SeaSonice M12II 620W 80+ BRONZE (Full Modular)

*This really suck because my rig is barely 2 weeks old and previously my MOBO was DOA, and that took a while to get sorted out. Now this problem is coming up, what a bad way to end the year. :(

really sorry to hear about this, typical first question... all drivers up to date? is this custom build or pre-build? Sounds like somethings wrong with the HDD but I cant be 100%.

NewPCBuild

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014

I have the shittiest of luck sometimes, but damn this takes the cake. :(

Drivers are up-to-date as far as I know..any way to ascertain my claim? And it's a custom build that was done with the help from the great community over here. I got a gut feeling that it's the HDD too..

The problems all started after I shifted my entire Steam folder (~100GB) from the OS partition to my storage one, is that a cause?