Question Occasional Stuttering in-game (no FPS drop, no lag) - Strange fix?

Feb 10, 2021
It seems like this is a common issue in Warzone, yet the common youtube/forum fixes haven't solved the issue for me. The game will occasionally (once every couple minutes) stutter (looks like lag) yet my ping remains consistently 40-60ms with no packet loss and frames remain 120-141fps. I play at 1440p, capped at 141 frames, mostly low in-game graphic settings. Temps and CPU/GPU usage seem fine: GPU maxes at around 103% usage and 70 degrees.

Of the common youtube/forum fixes, nothing so far has significantly improved/impaired my game. I then downloaded Afterburner/Riva to see if i could find a spike in temps or CPU/Mem usage when the stuttering occurred. Lo and behold, I could not replicate the stuttering last night while the Riva overlay was turned on, even after 3-4 hours of play.

I will continue to test this tonight, but I was hoping someone could offer some advice/answers. Does it make sense that simply opening Afterburner/Riva could fix this issue for me (I didn't change any OC or voltage settings)? Do you have any more recommendations to troubleshoot this issue?

Sorry for the long post, and thank you so much for any help/input!

My previous troubleshooting steps:
  • changing windows power plan
  • changing renderercount and memory scale in adv option file for Warzone
  • enabled/disabled hardware accelerated GPU scheduling in windows
  • turned off/on Windows Game Mode
  • turned off xbox game bar
  • override high DPI scaling - modernwarfare.exe
  • disable fullscreen optimization - modernwarfare.exe
  • Nvidia control panel "prefer maximum performance"
  • Enable/disable nvidia reflex low latency
  • uncapping/capping fps
  • enabled/disabled gsync
  • installed previous GPU drivers (currently using latest one)

My rig:
5600x
2x8gb Gskill ripjaw @ 3200mhz
zotac 3070
Thermaltake Smart 750w Bronze
MSI b550 carbon mobo
LG 27GN800B monitor
1440p/144hz

Last edited:
Reactions: thestgman
Riva has some settings that may be "fixing it".
I believe Riva has a fps capper....and that may be "fixing" it.
I would play around with the settings in Riva and see if you can't get the problem to turn on and off.
Then you maybe be able to get a better handle on what's causing it.

Reactions: teehump
Feb 10, 2021
Riva has some settings that may be "fixing it".
I believe Riva has a fps capper....and that may be "fixing" it.
I would play around with the settings in Riva and see if you can't get the problem to turn on and off.
Then you maybe be able to get a better handle on what's causing it.

Thank you Jay, i will check into that. I had no idea RTSS made changes like that.

Feb 10, 2021
It seems like this is a common issue in Warzone, yet the common youtube/forum fixes haven't solved the issue for me. The game will occasionally (once every couple minutes) stutter (looks like lag) yet my ping remains consistently 40-60ms with no packet loss and frames remain 120-141fps. I play at 1440p, capped at 141 frames, mostly low in-game graphic settings. Temps and CPU/GPU usage seem fine: GPU maxes at around 103% usage and 70 degrees.

Of the common youtube/forum fixes, nothing so far has significantly improved/impaired my game. I then downloaded Afterburner/Riva to see if i could find a spike in temps or CPU/Mem usage when the stuttering occurred. Lo and behold, I could not replicate the stuttering last night while the Riva overlay was turned on, even after 3-4 hours of play.

I will continue to test this tonight, but I was hoping someone could offer some advice/answers. Does it make sense that simply opening Afterburner/Riva could fix this issue for me (I didn't change any OC or voltage settings)? Do you have any more recommendations to troubleshoot this issue?

Sorry for the long post, and thank you so much for any help/input!

My previous troubleshooting steps:
  • changing windows power plan
  • changing renderercount and memory scale in adv option file for Warzone
  • enabled/disabled hardware accelerated GPU scheduling in windows
  • turned off/on Windows Game Mode
  • turned off xbox game bar
  • override high DPI scaling - modernwarfare.exe
  • disable fullscreen optimization - modernwarfare.exe
  • Nvidia control panel "prefer maximum performance"
  • Enable/disable nvidia reflex low latency
  • uncapping/capping fps
  • enabled/disabled gsync
  • installed previous GPU drivers (currently using latest one)
My rig:
5600x
2x8gb Gskill ripjaw @ 3200mhz
zotac 3070
Thermaltake Smart 750w Bronze
MSI b550 carbon mobo
LG 27GN800B monitor
1440p/144hz
I have same or similar problem. Did you fix it ?