oc'd Duron 700 question

G

I have an asus a7v and a duron 700. Originally, I had it overclocked to 1000, with the voltage set to 1.85, and it ran at about 36C (so said the Asus PC Probe 2.11) at idle and around 48/49C under load. This was at my house at college. I took it with me a couple of days ago to my parent's house for christmas break and the temperature seemed to rise, almost 10C. I figured that this was because my room here at my parent's is about 15 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than at school. I wasn't sure what was going on, so I downloaded the 1004c bios and the 2.12 version of PC Probe. Then the damn temperature went up another 10C, to 55C! What's going on? I have a global win Fop38 for a HSF. I checked to see if the HSF came loose when I moved it, but it seems to be on ok, with just the slightest wiggle. I just got done dropping the duron back down to 900 at 1.55 V and it seems to run ok now, idling at about 42C. What's going on? Is the pc probe accurate? 55C seems a bit high at idle and who knows what it would hit if under load. Should I just keep it at 900? I'm not sure if the extra 100mhz is worth it if the risk of frying this thing is too high at the temps that come with the extra speed.

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's the 1004 BIOS that you went to that is raising your temps. That's one of the bad points of all the 1004 BIOS versions. The 1003 ran alot cooler, but had problems with the Promise ATA100 controller. Right now, I'm using a modified 1003e2 BIOS that is the original 1003 BIOS with an updated Promise controller BIOS. I have two versions. One is the 1003e2 (with the Promise 2.01 build 28 BIOS) and 1003e3 (with the 2.01 build 33 BIOS).. Here's a link to a site where you can learn a little more about this if you'd like. And for the record, I'm running an average of 15 degrees F cooler than with the 1004d or 1005a BIOSes I was using before. I have a big Tai-Sol forged cooler also, and I know your Global Win is doing its job.
http://members.tripod.de/Juggernaut/

Phil

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wait, don't reflash your bios just yet. The Asus probe version 2.12 reports the temp up to 15C higher than what it actually is. I discovered this last night. Asus probe 2.11 reports the correct temp. To make sure, just go into the bios to see what the temp is.

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Bubba,

I'm not having that problem with my Probe vers. 2.12.07. My BIOS was reporting 96.5 degrees F for the CPU, and my probe was reporting 96 F. I've heard mention of this difference before, but I've checked and re-checked, and my Asus Probe ALWAYS reports the same temps as my BIOS does.
As for the post that I put up last night.. It was just my experiences with the different mobo BIOS versions and something to look at. The BIOS I am using now DOES lower the CPU temps. The only reason I haven't re-flashed my BIOS to the 1003e3 is because everything is working great, and I have no idea if upgrading the Promise controller's BIOS to build 33 would make a bit of difference.
If I find out any info that it does make a noticeable improvement, I may try that.
Phil

G

But wouldn't the temperature provided by the newer bios be the correct one? I would think that they wouldn't change that unless there was a problem with the old one. Is the bios actually making the chip run hotter, or is it simply reporting the wrong temperature. Thanks for the link Magneto, I'll check that page about the A7V as soon as I can.

Greg

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Your CPU temps ARE greatly affected by ambient room temperature. Given enough time you can expect your CPU temperature to rise at least 1 degree for every degree increase in room temperature. Notice that your parent's 15 Degree F higher room temperature is equal to 8.33 degrees C and you are seeing a 10 degree C inrease in CPU temperature.