O'clocking the HDD!?

G

Is it possible to o'clock HDD's? like set more rpm or better ata? how? is it dangeraus?

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I dun think so... at least to the common user.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
This is kinda like overclocking your mouse. I don't think it would help any. Harddrives are mechanical. It's a bit different than a cpu which doesn't have moving parts. Sure you could make the plates go faster, but what for? You'll most likely lose data and have a bad day because of it.

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Boy, that one's tough. It's easy to overclock your cdrom/dvd player with a dremel, but you can't crack open the hard drive to do anything. The only thing you could possibly do is use an external power source to change the +12volts to +18 or +24volts.

Might give you a few more rpm.....

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
burn out the device most likely.

overclock PCI & AGP devices though...
33 -> 40 (almost)
as my FSB is set to 150, my PCI speed is 37.5Mhz (agp 75Mhz)
wonder what effect that has on performance?

My Hamster doesnt like sarcasm. He may very well bite you in your hard to reach places!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Oh, and a higher ATA would be impossible. It an interface, so there's no way you could exceed it.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>I think if you use ac 460V/3phase instead of 12v dc, for a short period of time, it might work.

Let me know eh??

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, make sure you videotape that one. We can put it on Jackass. Er, I mean we can show it to college freshmen as an example of what not to do...I mean, an example of a good idea that just didn't quite work.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.