Oculus Announces 'Oculus Ready PC' Program, Systems Start At Sub-$1,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Cool idea... but I've got to say... I'm starting to burn out on the hype machine. I've been excited for VR to hit the ground in a viable package for a while, and the rift has been on the horizon for years now - get it into the wild and let the fur fly.

alextheblue

Distinguished
oh. so will a amd 6300 or 6350 ticking around 4,2 satisfy the cpu requirements?

Clocked at 4.2 (as in 4.2 on all cores under full load) it would get you close to a 4590, yeah. At least for playing games. However for future DX12 games that are well-threaded, an 83xx would be better. Not to say I'd run out and buy ANY AM3+ system at this point, but if you have an existing AM3+ unit with a decent mainboard that would be a good drop-in upgrade.

g-unit1111

Titan

Good question, I think that's one of those things we just won't know until we get our hands on the hardware. I very badly want to get one of these when they're released.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
the upside with upgrading along an AMD path though would be that you could score an 8370 or even a 9590 with an updated mobo for under $350 provided you already have ram, psu, etc, but generally if you're already on a core-series Intel it wouldn't be worth it as the raw performance would be similar to a sandy or ivy CPU. i mean...MAYBE first-gen core series but looking at prices these days a H97 mobo and a core i5 would get you out the door for maybe $275 shipped? and be more efficient to boot. I'm at that crossroad with my HTPC which has a 4100 and older mobo so it's not really designed for the high-watt AMD cpus. I'd be really happy to drop in an 8370 and call it a day but i doubt it could handle it.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
the upside with upgrading along an AMD path though would be that you could score an 8370 or even a 9590 with an updated mobo for under $350 provided you already have ram, psu, etc, but generally if you're already on a core-series Intel it wouldn't be worth it as the raw performance would be similar to a sandy or ivy CPU. i mean...MAYBE first-gen core series but looking at prices these days a H97 mobo and a core i5 would get you out the door for maybe $275 shipped? and be more efficient to boot. I'm at that crossroad with my HTPC which has a 4100 and older mobo so it's not really designed for the high-watt AMD cpus. I'd be really happy to drop in an 8370 and call it a day but i doubt it could handle it.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I'm at that crossroad with my HTPC which has a 4100 and older mobo so it's not really designed for the high-watt AMD cpus. I'd be really happy to drop in an 8370 and call it a day but i doubt it could handle it.

Check with the manufacturer? They usually have specs and CPU compat info on their site... just because your board is "old" doesn't mean it doesn't support 125W models. Heck, if your board is decent, update the BIOS and slap in an 8320 and overclock it a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.