Oculus Pulls Rift Demos From Many Best Buy Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Demos? The Best Buy near me had all the Oculus Rift gear under glass, and there was never anyone around to ask me if I wanted a "demo." I just assumed they didn't have any units to sell, so they stopped trying to sell them.

xjumpmanx

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I got one in September last year at Best Buy and the clerk literally had no clue what I was asking for nor where they were located. I had ordered it online i found the case on the showroom floor before they figured where they were located. Then it took like 15 minutes for them to find the person who had the key to open display to retrieve unit. I get the feeling Best Buy gave little more than a passing dont give a shyt about this item.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Modulo... Your diatribe makes it obvious you have never even tried an Oculus. I have an Oculus and a Vive - they are both lightyears beyond a gimmick and most people are shocked when they try them. Oculus does need to release a new updated version or they will get steamrolled. Higher resolution and it would make an ideal expanded Windows desktop and some app have already tried it. The applications for this tech are endless.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Anyone who's actually gone to a Best Buy to demo one of this will know that these are probably being pulled because absolutely zero Best Buy staff are trained in... well, really anything, much less VR.

91sn32Q.jpg

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Some people get it and some don't, those who don't have no imagination and think this is a gimmick of some sort and will fade away

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
I visited a Best Buy store with 3 other coworkers about 3 weeks ago on my lunch break. It was the first time I had been in a Best Buy store for at least 2 years. I saw the Oculus demo equipment (but it was turned off and the headgear was on display in a glass case like TEAMSWITCHER said). I asked an associate for a demo he just made excuses: I need to get the key from the manager... it will take 20 minutes to set up... blah, blah. It sure didn't seem like they cared about making a sale. The store was devoid of customers, too. The associates outnumbered customers by 3 to 1. They asked how they could help but unfortunately, all were incapable of actually providing assistance beyond pointing to the area of the store where we might find what we were looking for (exactly what DSTARR3 said). Pretty sure Oculus did the right thing.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Never seen a demo in my local Best Buy or any other store. I'm not going to buy an expensive VR, something I'm curious about but have some doubts, unless I can try it first.

If they want greater exposure. They should work with Walmart to place demo units in their stores. Perhaps make a demo unit with a reinforced body and strong security cable to prevent theft. So that people can just walk up and try it. Rather than a clerk hunting down somebody with a key.

While not a gimmick. Without standardization it will fade away. Standardization is needed for reliable and broad developer support.

As long as you have to strap something over your face. Popularity will be limited. As long as popularity is limited. It can die out if supporting it isn't profitable. Right now developers are gambling on it and want gamers to see them as cutting edge.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I've demoed the Oculus twice in Best Buy. You have to schedule an appointment. The average Best Buy employee doesn't know much about the systems. The guy I demoed with worked for Oculus, not Best Buy. I would love to be able to demo a unit in my own home for a week or two. Oculus should consider something like this, but I doubt they will. It's very uncommon. I remember when the Dreamcast was about to release, I was able to rent the system and Sonic from Hollywood Video prior to its release. This was a very cool idea.

Yeah it's hard to get staff for it in stores like Best Buy.

I think VR arcades or cafes will be better for letting people experience VR before they buy. One just opened in my city, and it has extra equipment I could never have at home, so I might even continue to go there from time to time despite having a high-end VR device and PC at home.

blackbit75

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
I am sad to see, that even 3D Tvs aren't get announced anymore. Game makers like EA don't want to make exclusive games for VR. It can be a temporal success the VR if it doesn't gets enough support.

Status
Not open for further replies.