[SOLVED] Oculus Quest

roieco

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
would it be wise for me buy an oculus quest 2 now? (asking as meta seem to release newer versions like the pro now)
my main use cases are games (both from the pc and on the oculus) and watching vr videos from the pc.

thanks,

Last edited:
Solution
Hey there,

The Quest Pro will bring a new iteration of the already stellar XR2. The Pro will bring an updated version which is supposed to be a good step up. It also has improved cameras and a lower profile depth, so sits a lot better, and looks a lot better.

With all of that said, the Quest 2 is one of the best standalones, but also has that PC capability. I do enjoy some of the Quest games on my own Quest 2, but really it's the PC gaming that has me hooked. Star Wars Squadrons simply blew my mind in terms of immersion. If you haven't tried it, think about it. I have a HOTAS controller, and some of the drifting manouevers were off the charts in terms of realism.

Your PC is way capable of playing these games and more. But...
Hey there,

The Quest Pro will bring a new iteration of the already stellar XR2. The Pro will bring an updated version which is supposed to be a good step up. It also has improved cameras and a lower profile depth, so sits a lot better, and looks a lot better.

With all of that said, the Quest 2 is one of the best standalones, but also has that PC capability. I do enjoy some of the Quest games on my own Quest 2, but really it's the PC gaming that has me hooked. Star Wars Squadrons simply blew my mind in terms of immersion. If you haven't tried it, think about it. I have a HOTAS controller, and some of the drifting manouevers were off the charts in terms of realism.

Your PC is way capable of playing these games and more. But having a Pro won't make those games any better really. Depending on price I'd prob go with the Quest 2, even given what I know now about how good the Pro may be. Also, Meta seem to be suggesting this wil be more of a Professional Headset, for working in AR/MR (I'm pretty sure it will game like a champ though)

For just getting into VR, the Quest 2 stands out. Also has the ability for high hz VR too (games must support it though).

I think the QUest 2 would be fine for you. If this is your first forray into VR then it's relatively lowe cost and gives you everything you need right out of the box.

If you do get a Quest 2, make sure to get a good quality link cable. Just don't by the official Quest cable, as it costs an insane amount of money.

I got a Siwket Quest Link Cable, and it's quality. Works flawlessly. And is a whole lot easier on the pocket :) Also has the 90 degree connector for comfort attachment to the Quest.

Amazon.com: Siwket USB C Link Cable 20ft/6M, Quest Link Cable Braided USB C Charging Cable 90 Degree with Signal Booster 5Gbps Fast Data Transfer for Quest 1/2, Virtual Reality Headset, Gaming PC : Electronics

Last edited:
Solution