Oculus Rift: Changing The VR Landscape At CES 2013

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scar89

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]FPS games will need to unassociate the crosshair and body turn with the screen. I don't want to aim and turn around with my head.[/citation]
The ARMA series of games can do this! DayZ + Rift anyone? :S

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
As it seems, you don't get up and move around in these. You're pretty much just sitting in a chair moving your head. :) Aside from that, they may be working on a way to accommodate their glasses-wearing audience as well. There was also the idea by some person who commented previously. He/she said that he/she was near-sighted and thus may not need glasses at all (the screen being so close to your eyes).

runewell

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
I can't wait to get my 2 Dev kits in march. I think the Rift will add a new medium for entertainment much like the film and gaming industries. It will not replace existing mediums but instead be an additional option and likely a popular one. Think of how film and TV was added alongside books as a viable option to spend your time. I find the storytelling aspect to be the most interesting. Unlike a tightly controlled film VR is open and story telling will be more like sitting in the middle of a broadway play except the set is 360 degrees and much more realistic and scalable.

eijiyuki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
[citation][nom]avjguy2362[/nom]Why gaming only? Why not be your monitor for browsers and everything else you would use a monitor! Eyeball tracking would be easy and standard input devises would be usable too. They should also put a camera on the outside, so you could switch or overlay the outside with the inside to see your physical environment when needed so you don't have to take the headset off briefly to see where you put your drink or reach for anything else in you physical environment.[/citation]

That might be more in the realm of Google Glass

fykusfire

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]FPS games will need to unassociate the crosshair and body turn with the screen. I don't want to aim and turn around with my head.[/citation]On DooM 3 BFG, you were able to turn with the controller or your head, whichever you preferred.

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Interesting that the most imaginative & exciting products at CES this year were Kickstarter projects.
-Rift
-Light keyboard
-3d Printer
-Pebble Smart Watch
I like that consumers can fund the tech that they want to see made, instead of being told what is the next thing by big wig firms.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]mydragon15[/nom]do they have any plans to make it compatible with those who are blind in one eye?[/citation]
... If you're blind in one eye, you'll only see one screen. So it'll work just fine, you just won't get the stereoscopic effect.

juiceman

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
This thing may be a bit of bad news for the monitor manfacturers, or at least a warning. If Rift takes off, then in a few years I'd use the Rift for all things entertainment and use the LCD where the rift wouldn't apply - so I woudn't need anything but a basic LCD or TV.

Ofcourse, the chief factor in whether it takes off or not in this case is - Price!

G

so why cant this be done with an iphone with a retina display, just some cheap viewmaster style optics hanging off some over the ear headphones and there you go. All it would take is the right software on the iPhone (and for apple to approve it) and then you have the oculus rift effect - all the head tracking and so on could be easily handled by the accelerometers in the iphone. Thunderbolt (or whatever it is now) or even wifi should be good enough to handle the bandwidth). I know that (mattel?) has something like this - why not upsize it to the same capabilities os the Oculus. And any fast hires smartphone should be able to do it - immersivity here we come (finally) What is stopping folks?

Status
Not open for further replies.