Oculus Rift Demos Hit Best Buy Stores On Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geekwad

Admirable
Nothing more important that having a good first experience too. 90fps+ minimums, no latency and max details will do wonders for seeing the future through VR clearly.....

I just checked the availability and schedule. Not one in Orlando, Florida, the entertainment capital of the US, but there will be demos in Tampa and Daytona Beach? WTH? What marketing geniuses at OR thought that up? Unbelievable. And the greater Atlanta area has 12 Best Buys and there is only one store there that will be hosting a demo? Wow. You can't get much more "limited" than that.

Geekwad

Admirable

Tampa and Daytona (full time residents) are economically different than the large base of amusement park and hotel/restaurant workers of Orlando. I would assume that they assessed and assumed more people may eventually go to the Tampa/Daytona Best Buy to purchase one eventually, so put their demos in those stores.

There are more BB stores in the greater Orlando area than Tampa & Daytona Beach combined. It's a city that is more than just Disney employees and tourists. It's also home to some of the richest people in the nation. I just think they missed the mark.

Geekwad

Admirable

True......just a theory. Perhaps they assumed that good VR experiences are already to be had/tried in the Orlando area?

Honestly I haven't even been there for a few years now, so don't know what, if any, VR is going on in the parks now.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Friendly reminder: They had a VR demo at PAX East just now and a lot of people got pink-eye. Cool thing to have store demos of this stuff and all, but... y'know... pink-eye. YMMV.

Just have some of those replaceable covers for it.

robodan918

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Now you can experience the waiting in line at best buy for promised stock only to get to the front and have them tell you "we should be receiving stock by August to September, maybe". It's called "the oculus experience"

ninjustin

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
One store for the whole DC/VA/MD area and it's already all booked. That's pathetic. One of the richest most educated areas in the country and one store.

Unless the lazy store clerks don't put them on, like the ones at PAX.

Geekwad

Admirable
Pink eye wouldn't so much come from the surround (though it will get sweaty and gross), but more from your eyes/lashes touching the lenses (especially when your demo person does the adjustment and gets too close before backing it off to a comfortable level).

The easiest fix is to take your own hand wipes and insist on cleaning the inside and drying the lenses before putting it on. It won't solve the gross surround if they aren't switching those out every time, but use a hand wipe on your face, wiping away from the eyes, when you're done.....and most of the transmission risk is gone.

Before commercially available VR huggies were a thing:

https://vrcover.com/

I used to use long black dress socks (new) to make my own.....not that you would do this to go to a demo. :)

Cut in half long ways with fabric adhesive strips and weak rubber bands (folded into the edges and glued to form elastic bands on the outside)....they worked pretty well. I used a long zip tie to give form to the inside stretch around the eyes (again folded into the seam) as well.

dstarr3

Distinguished

They did at PAX. It just takes one person not doing their job to give everyone pink-eye. And if there's any place full of people not doing their jobs, it's Best Buy.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I placed my pre-order less than a minute after go-live and I am delayed to mid-July. Yet they have stock to promote their product. FK Occulus! I am cancelling once ebay prices drop enough and sticking with Vive!

Status
Not open for further replies.