Oculus Rift Now Better Supports Users with Glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Can't wait for this to come to full fruition. I keep contemplating about buying the developer kit to get a jump start on it, but I hear about what the "retail" packaging might have such as a higher resolution. So torn =/.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Man.. from Sensorama from the 60s, to Virtual Boy in the 80s and now the Oculus. Same concept, but I love how far VR technology evolved. Imagine another 20 years from now.. fully functioning embedded contact lenses that are as powerful as a supercomputer of today. Kind of wish I was born today and not 25 years ago.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
A bit curious, but can't the lenses be made movable so they can adjust the focal point? Similar to binoculars. Maybe not bringing the lenses too close to the eyes but instead pushing the screen a bit farther back. Or these extra lenses are for when the adjustments available are not enough.

Can't you buy a months supply of contacts and just use those when you want to play? Considering they last a month and you are only wearing them for 4ish hours at a time (or atleast I am) they should last quite a while. Though I am a glasses wearer and have never used contacts so I am not entirely sure what I am thinking is "proper".

Though my eyesight is horrid for near and far sighted, how will they manage that?

ianj14

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Not everyone can where contacts, and even then there are still potential issues with astigmatism. I reckon the best solution would be something like binoculars, where a general refocusing arrangement could be paired with a diopter adjustment on one eye. That way even people with one eye with different focusing to the other can still get a balanced view into the Rift.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]mouse24[/nom]Can't you buy a months supply of contacts and just use those when you want to play? Considering they last a month and you are only wearing them for 4ish hours at a time (or atleast I am) they should last quite a while. Though I am a glasses wearer and have never used contacts so I am not entirely sure what I am thinking is "proper". Though my eyesight is horrid for near and far sighted, how will they manage that?[/citation]
these arent contacts. theyre removable lenses for the rift. if you wear glasses you just pop the ones in the rift out, and pop the proper ones in. it isnt needed to adjust a whole lot to your eyes since the display is like 3 inches from your eyes. if you have trouble seeing anything at less than 2 inches from your eyes, youd need the lenses(assuming the distance from the sreen is 3 inches). if you have those famed eagle eyes many people have(can see well far, but cant see 1 foot from your face), youd need the proper lenses.

I might be wrong as to how they work though since Im not at all familiar with that infinity concept and how it will affect the focus of bad eyes. The devs said this is between a year and 2 away from being on sale, so they definitely have time to improve on this. Im excited.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Making them like binoculars would add complexity, cost and require more manufacturing tools at this stage. Later version will require something as it would be an error to exclude people who wear glasses.
There is an after market for prescription Oculus lenses it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS