Oculus' Uncompromising Obsession With Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes sense if you want VR to not fall down the path of 3D.

I remember standing in very "gimicky" corral type stands ~15 years ago to help prevent inevitable falling/disorientating sensations with basically a motorcycle helmet on your head. They were like a carnival side-show and not taken very seriously at all. They were mostly tourist traps.

Hardware evolution has sparked interest from the STEM fields and if done correctly, will catapult VR technology into the next century.

As a gamer, I for one cannot wait until the VR parks become the new "amusement parks". Think of the old Laser Tag buildings and skating rinks being converted into virtual worlds that can be changed on the fly, like a real time D&D game with a game master manipulating environmental effects for the players running around with OR headsets and mock weapons =)

https://thevoid.com/

If it isn't taken seriously right out of the gate, it will continue to make the fad appearances, like 3D. I drool at the thought of playing ARK in a skating rink or football field for that matter, with an OR headset on screaming for my life, running in full sprint from a T-Rex because I decided to go chop wood in the middle of the night!

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I have to say that I, being a potential customer, am a bit concerned that "no one knows how many parts it has." Seems to me that it would be simple enough to use the CAD package that they are using for the project to print out a bill of materials.

Puiucs

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
This product still makes me want to throw up. Meanwhile the hype machine is in full swing.
It's your own problem. Maybe you didn't have the device on properly or you were using one of the older prototypes.And last but not least: some people just get sick really easily. They need to wait a few years until the technology evolves a bit more.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I have to say that I, being a potential customer, am a bit concerned that "no one knows how many parts it has." Seems to me that it would be simple enough to use the CAD package that they are using for the project to print out a bill of materials.

My opinion, you can relax on this point.

A lot of manufacturing processes outsource various assembly pieces to sub-contractors/companies that mfg just one licensed/proprietary/protected part.. The PCBAs that work with constellation tracking are probably a subset of the grouping of materials. Controllers for video, backlighting, audio components, gyroscope. The XBOX controller MS is shipping with it is probably protected as well.

I'm betting we're dealing with multiple, possibly protected, CAD projects here.

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

I hope you realize this was a joke. It was intended as a shot of comical relief. They know every single part down to it's vertisies; and they know exactly how many parts there are. That's why they are in their positions and not some other smuck. Everyone on the Oculus team is passionate about their creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS