Oculus Unveils Final Rift Design, Oculus Touch Controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if I am reading this right you get the headset, 2 'touch' controllers, an XB1 controller and a glorified IR webcam... just how expensive is all that hardware going to be!?!?!

Still, looks fantastic. Certainly something I pick up after my next PC upgrade... which sadly means I will probably be waiting for V2

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
So if I am reading this right you get the headset, 2 'touch' controllers, an XB1 controller and a glorified IR webcam... just how expensive is all that hardware going to be!?!?!

Still, looks fantastic. Certainly something I pick up after my next PC upgrade... which sadly means I will probably be waiting for V2
I would think about $499?

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Heh, yeah, better not to think too hard about it lest you inflict pain on yourself. ;)

I would think--and this is based purely on my own logic and nothing more--that Oculus will sell this in multiple kits.

For example, one with just the Rift and sensor; one with those plus the Xbox controller; one with those plus the Touch controllers. Maybe one with the Touch controllers and no Xbox controller.

Or maybe you can buy everything separately. I dunno, but it makes sense to me.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Pretty sure the headache/nausea stuff has been ameliorated for a while now.

Also, if you're on DK2 (loki1944), you're now two generations behind, development-wise. Seems silly to not give the full retail version a go based on a less-than-optimal experience with an old dev version, no?

leftstep

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
So if I am reading this right you get the headset, 2 'touch' controllers, an XB1 controller and a glorified IR webcam...

I'm pretty sure the half moon, or touch controllers, will be a separate purchase.

voodoobunny

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Oculus Rift
+ elliptical machine for throttle control (you run in real life to run in-game)
+ dual Oculus Touch for weapon control
+ Mechwarrior Online
= an ultimate Battletech experience! Also a brilliant weight-loss strategy.

Yeah, no. Similar things were claimed with the DK 2, I'm not falling for bs this time higher refresh and resolution is never going to be enough to fix the brain's reaction to FPS movement. And the experience itself is underwhelming, more novelty than anything. Something like the Hololens is the only gaming apparatus I'll put on my face now.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I haven't been able to spend *extended* time under the hood at any given time, but I've had zero nausea/headache issues with any HMD I've used. If you do, I'm sorry to hear that. But your concern is not one that most people seem to have any more with the latest VR experiences. Just saying. :)

Ekinox

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2012

Actually the xbox one controller will be bundled with the headset, and the halfmoon controllers will be available for purchase a bit later separately (first half of 2016).

krobjack

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
They stated that the Oculus Touch wouldnt be available until later (after the Oculus launch) and would be sold separately.

Bogdan Barbu

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
Sensors around the edges? Come on, Seth. Those are IR LED's, whose light is captured by the same camer which tracks the headset's position.

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
dafuq, can't believe they go with xbox controller, instead of using something like leap motion, you can't see controller/keyboard/mouse while using that headset, so disappointed

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

...that's why they developed the Oculus Touch controllers. I'm indifferent to the Xbox controller one way or the other, but I can say that after playing demos, the inability to see the gamepad isn't as big a deal as you might think.

Status
Not open for further replies.