Oculus VR Buying Xbox 360 Controller, Kinect Creator

Status
Not open for further replies.

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
I love the 360 controller and find it very easy to use. The more people working towards one goal the better.

@everlast66
I don't understand why it looks like a losing project? Oculus looks like a great project, they seem determined to release a highly polished product for the consumer and hopefully will set a high bar for VR.

epaciga

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
it's probably a good move, but the PS3 and 4 controllers are a lot better.
Just a note on political correctness: when making opinion-based statements, the rule of thumb is to include "in my opinion (IMO)." Also, a it's a good way to not be down-voted so easily.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
More optional controllers/peripherals are better. As long as the Oculus Rift can also be used for old-school game display, I'm on board with it. I can't wait to strap, say, Duke 3D or Diablo II on my head for some 'in your face' action. I'm getting nauseous just thinking about... which is how those games felt the first time I played them. Shake it baby... Not even death can save you from me!

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
dang. after the facebook buyout steam was really quiet, and then recently announced their own VR headset to counter the Rift that they were previously working closely on design aspects... Now OccVR is putting eggs into the controller basket, makes me wonder if they are matching moves with Steam. Im thrilled to have the market competition, and while Luckey has yet to show his corporate character (beyond selling out to Facebook o_0 ) I have good faith in Gaben and his team. Whether or not Occ brings -the- solution to the table, we're gunna have some good VR options here in the near future.

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I don't understand why it looks like a losing project? Oculus looks like a great project, they seem determined to release a highly polished product for the consumer and hopefully will set a high bar for VR.

Because they are starting to over-invest into a project that is after all only gaming goggles, potentially a niche product. They've hired some high caliber people that are usually quite expensive. Oculus also have a very strong competitor, Sony, who can and will address their own PS market, but also PC as well. Sony has in house LCD, chip and optics production, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.