Oculus VR Responds to Alleged John Carmack Code Theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarBound

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Facebook should fight them in court, then buy the Zenimax for $1, then fire the employees who tarnished the companies name by doing this VR scandal or just disband the company.

aitrus00

Reputable
May 5, 2014
ZeniMax has already lost plenty of credibility with their ESO debacle. I think this is their way of recouping losses from that epic fail.

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Well, I know many of us were left with a distaste in our mouths about Facebook's acquisition of Oculus Rift. Fortunately, one positive side effect of that deal is that with all that financial backing, there's no way that any patent trolls or law suits are going to stop it from coming out, despite the delayed to 2015 release.

Originaly this was Palmers "dream" and since he was motivated to make something great people back him up with their cash.
Facebook does things for profit.
Whenether it will be good or not remains to be seen, but I aint gonna be holding my breath anymore for this.
I am greatly dissapointed by Palmer (who basicly cashed in on the money of others), who probably dosent control the damn thing anymore.
Its kinda like Dragon age 2 and mass effect 3. WHo cares that Bioware makes the game when EA is calling the shots?

So, will facebook ruin VR? Well, considering its a company that is based on ads (to be frank, facebook only has money as long as its popular, it dosent actually has a real value) I cant say I see a bright future.

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Listen, are they suing Oculus Rift because ESO did so poorly? I mean I'm so shocked by Zenimar's sleazy and pathetic ways to recoup their losses that I don't know whether to laugh from all this retarded nonsense or go in a violent rage to troll the forums until my fingers are tired and my throat is dry.. =(

f-14

Distinguished
["Oculus uses zero lines of code that I wrote while under contract to Zenimax," Carmack stated on Twitter on May 1.]

here is the multi million dollar question " how much of the know how, functionality, design and design limits or basically said how much of the knowledge of and design of the VR tech & code knowledge was used from your time and experience while contracted to zenimax was used at oculus ? "

just like the suit apple had against samsung over the phone; knowing all the features of the iOS and iPhone how much was designed with the same features that never existed before it's invention and after including its it's further development while still working for them? just because it's implemented differently or the code cleaned up or expanded upon and rewritten doesn't mean it's not stolen.

taking some one else's thesis and using all different words and word structure even if making it simpler or more complex is still plagerism especially when it never existed before but incorporates the same intellectual knowledge and know how and principles and design.

he knew how it worked, what made it work, and based that know how of what was before to recreate what they have now.

recreating something that did exist before isn't invention that's copying, u.s. law says it has to be 30% different from what existed before. methodology is what is zenimax is claiming intellectual rights over? processes are patentible but requires explicit detail in order to ensure proprietary ownership.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Experience and expertise gained while working for a company is yours to keep and yours to use at will. The company pays you for what you create for them and they keep just that. They can use your skills and knowledge to their benefit for as long as you work for them but they don't get to keep that after you quit.

They can prevent you from working for another (competing) company provided you sign a non-compete clause in your contract. And then there are laws concerning confidential information and intellectual property, which you must not "steal".

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Experience and expertise gained while working for a company is yours to keep and yours to use at will. The company pays you for what you create for them and they keep just that. They can use your skills and knowledge to their benefit for as long as you work for them but they don't get to keep that after you quit.

They can prevent you from working for another (competing) company provided you sign a non-compete clause in your contract. And then there are laws concerning confidential information and intellectual property, which you must not "steal".

But this was California where even signed legitimate non-compete contracts are mostly not enforceable, so I dont see that being an issue either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS