OCZ Beefs Up Solid State Drive Portfolio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ares1214

Splendid
Ah, about time...these SSD's are really dropping in price. 1 year ago, only 32 gigs were priced reasonably. 6 months ago, 64 gigs were starting to be priced reasonably. Now, 100-128 gigs are priced reasonably well. Who knows, 6 months from now, we could be seeing 256 gig SSD for $200-300, otherwise know as $1/GB. But the speed is impressive.

G

Too bad the quality of their RAM is going down the drain while this happens

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]memorysucks[/nom]Too bad the quality of their RAM is going down the drain while this happens[/citation]I've had issues with OCZ Gold series for years...I haven't seen any degradation of OCZ's higher models but I'd like to hear your thoughts!

pfdman

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
According to OCZ's earnings press release that came out this afternoon they will be getting entirely out of the RAM market.

"In August 2010, the Company announced a strategic optimization of its memory products whereby it discontinued certain unprofitable commodity memory module products with the intent to continue only with certain high-performance memory products. However, since that time, there has been well-chronicled, continued weakness in the global DRAM markets.

Having balanced this DRAM market weakness against the capital needs of the Company's growing SSD products, the board has determined that it is in the best interests of the stockholders to accelerate plans to discontinue its remaining DRAM module products by the end of its current fiscal year of February 28, 2011. Accordingly, our DRAM products are now expected to have minimal, if any, sales in the next fiscal year and beyond."

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I have seen many faster ssd's that use pci-e

the problem is they charge crazy prices.

Instead of making drives that no one can afford, why not work on making a SSD that doesn't require trim support.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]pfdman[/nom]According to OCZ's earnings press release that came out this afternoon they will be getting entirely out of the RAM market."In August 2010, the Company announced a strategic optimization of its memory products whereby it discontinued certain unprofitable commodity memory module products with the intent to continue only with certain high-performance memory products. However, since that time, there has been well-chronicled, continued weakness in the global DRAM markets.Having balanced this DRAM market weakness against the capital needs of the Company's growing SSD products, the board has determined that it is in the best interests of the stockholders to accelerate plans to discontinue its remaining DRAM module products by the end of its current fiscal year of February 28, 2011. Accordingly, our DRAM products are now expected to have minimal, if any, sales in the next fiscal year and beyond."[/citation]
They may come back with DDR4. Just because they are discontinuing all current modules, they could still be researching new ones. I know I love my OCZ DDR2 water-cooled RAM to death.

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Why is the industry holding off on Sata III ssd's? Why won't Toms let us know? Is the interface too expensive? Or is the oppty to sell the same sdd twice (once with each interface) driving the industry?

[citation][nom]pinkfloydminnesota[/nom]Why is the industry holding off on Sata III ssd's? Why won't Toms let us know? Is the interface too expensive? Or is the oppty to sell the same sdd twice (once with each interface) driving the industry?[/citation]
Good questions. Slow adoption may have to do with current SSD's not being able to utilize that pipeline, or it could be simply growing pains such as USB 3.0 is experiencing. Many of the reviews I've read for USB 3.0 devices suggests they are not ready for primetime, they seem rushed to market and glitchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.