OCZ: Die Shrink Will Lead to Cheaper SSDs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]m0j0j0j0[/nom]yea, ssd's are wayyy too damn expensive at the moment, i would totally love one. The most attractive SSD to me is the RevoDrive x2 it hooks into a pci x4 slot, the price tag is crazy for anything big though, if im not mistaken 500gb was 3000 or something[/citation]

If u can't afford it, why r u looking for higher end like this and up
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227663
instead this or less?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227579

You know, there will be always new high end, that most can't or won't afford.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I think it is a good idea to move to the smaller die shrink size & the sooner the better & hopefully cheaper...If people get a hold of this news,they may hold off buying the SSD products that OCZ have out now...

G

Let's all face it, with the failure rates still being reported for consumer grade ssds, the technology is still immature. I, for one, will not tolerate a greater than 1% possibility that I will have to RMA my drive and reinstall my OS and programs on a new one in any given year simply for the convenience of saving mere seconds of program load time, however sexy that experience may be.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I sure hope they have better write amplification or more spare space to remap dead cells than the larger nm version. Generally the smaller the nm the less cycles they can erase/rewrite resulting it to wear out quicker unless the process have improved as of late!

twile

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Some of you guys are crazy, complaining about the cost/GB of SSDs. Could they be cheaper? Obviously. Are they excessively expensive? Hardly.

You can pick up a speedy 60 GB SSD for $100 after rebates. That's easily enough for a Windows installation, some basic applications, and personal documents.

Your terabytes of movie collection and 200 GB music collection will be expensive to store on SSDs. They will give almost no benefit to being on SSDs. You should not try to store them on SSDs.

I seriously think that some of you are trying to come up with excuses not to make the change to SSDs. You insist that unless you put all of your 2 TB of files on the most overkill SSD setup out there, there's no point in trying, so you might as well just stay on your mechanical setup. That's like saying that unless you can get a car which is completely electric, there's no reason to care about fuel economy. Silly.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Yeah, I wouldn't have an SSD as anything but a boot drive. I just had a client's SSD fail on him, and he didn't back anything up. Had he had his stuff on a mechanical drive, the recovery process would have been a lot easier. I love SSDs, but you have to have either flash drive/cloud backups, and in a desktop, you need mechanical drives for data, preferably in RAID.

Yesterday morning I was at the OCZ web site and forums. I don't know the exact date it happened but OCZ changed from 34nm to 25nm NAND in their Vertex 2 series ssd's without any sort of press release or major announcements. In addition OCZ did not change the model name, product number, or description to reflect the switch. The Vertex 2 is still SATA II (3 Gb/s) too. Seems the 25nm NAND drives are not performing to customer expectations. I got the impression the new 25nm Vertex 2 performed worse than the original 34nm Vertex 2. OCZ may have been first to market with ssd's using 25nm NAND but that's all they can claim.

Latest information is OCZ will replace the Vertex 2 with 25nm NAND free of charge including return shipping.

Intel on the other hand has simply delayed introducing ssd's with the new 25nm NAND. They are still working on manufacturing production quality 25nm NAND. The new Intel 510 series that will be introduced later this month will use the 34nm NAND. Looks like Intel is playing it safe and sticking with reliable components for the time being.

hannibal

Distinguished
"32 nm $2.2 a gig... 25 nm £1.99 a gig... Hey the prize really comes down!
Och, it was only a dream..."

Too little competition for really big prize reduction... A pity...
The prises will come down, slowly but steadily, like it has been happening this far. But if you need the speed... you cant go wrong with SSD.

From Anandtech:
[cpp]
OCZ Vertex 3 Pro Pricing
100GB 200GB 400GB
MSRP $525.00 $775.00 $1350.00
Cost per GB $5.35/GB $3.875/GB $3.375/GB[/cpp]

If the Vertex 3 does come with 2x nm silicon as expected...

[citation][nom]picsoul[/nom]YAY! I just ordered my first SSD. You guessed it, its a OCZ vertex 2![/citation]
Ummm...
Maybe you missed that last line.
"OCZ didn't specify when the new 2Xnm SSDs will arrive, so stay tuned."
The Vertex 2 you just ordered is the older more expensive model. If I remember right wasn't it a Toms hardware article that had OCZ saying the next Onxy would be very affordable. Maybe it will be the Vertex.. OR Both!

Either way I'm happy to see that SSD prices are coming down! I can't wait to buy one!

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]I sure hope they have better write amplification or more spare space to remap dead cells than the larger nm version. Generally the smaller the nm the less cycles they can erase/rewrite resulting it to wear out quicker unless the process have improved as of late![/citation]

Yes, according to Anand, http://www.anandtech.com/show/4159/ocz-vertex-3-pro-preview-the-first-sf2500-ssd/2 the new 25nm flash memory will have a write capability of about 3000-5000. Still, this should allow a Sandforce drive to last about 10 years.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well 120GB drives are currently ~$220, which isn't too bad for a boot drive. The way things are going they should hit the 1GB/$1 mark this year. Once I can get a 200GB drive for ~$150 I'm probably going to bite the bullet and pick one up. That's still nowhere near magnetic drive prices though with 2TB drives for $75 (26GB/$).

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Yeah, but how many people need 2TB worth of capacity. Most people don't need 2TB, although there will always be some need out there for such high capacity drives.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
it'll be a whiel before $1 /1GB .. but there are already good deals to be had on ssd's and once you have an ssd running the system you'll hate using hdd pc's forever... they spoil you

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]it'll be a whiel before $1 /1GB .. but there are already good deals to be had on ssd's and once you have an ssd running the system you'll hate using hdd pc's forever... they spoil you[/citation]

They do, they really do. 19 second boot times, 2-3 second app load times, Firefox up in less than 1 second. It takes a lot to get used to hard drive times again. (it takes my company laptop more than 5 minutes to boot, and more than 12 minutes if the wireless is on when it is booting. It sucks.)

[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]They do, they really do. 19 second boot times, 2-3 second app load times, Firefox up in less than 1 second. It takes a lot to get used to hard drive times again. (it takes my company laptop more than 5 minutes to boot, and more than 12 minutes if the wireless is on when it is booting. It sucks.)[/citation]

What kind of laptop r u talking about?

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]nikorr[/nom]What kind of laptop r u talking about?[/citation]
Dell Inspiron E4300, 5400rpm 160GB drive, with tons of GPOs to process when it boots. It also has a ULV processor, so that makes it longer to boot.

when the wireless is on it tries to connect through the wireless and fails repeatedly (once for every GPO) because it can't authenticate on just the machine account. this causes an extra 7 minute lag in the boot process.

Status
Not open for further replies.