OCZ Introduces New Value SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanaxiom

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
power consumption ranging from 4.5 V to 5.5 V

Although this is interesting, numbers in Watts might be a better measure of power consumption.

I personally won't switch to SSDs until they are reasonably priced with more than 160GB.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I'm finding LOTS of problems with MLC SSDs.
AHCI and the drivers, bad multi-tasking, slow write-speeds, long pauses, etc.
I hope this all gets fixed.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i agree with ryan, i do want a small ssd to dual boot xp 32-bit and vista 64-bit...and maybe a wd 640 slave drive for all the media...thing is, i want an ssd that can prove its performance, and right now, they're about $700

KITH

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
I suspect these are really the core v2 drives relabeled. So they would still be using the jmicron controllers and potentially have the stuttering issues. That said, they are attractively priced and still have their uses in low write situations.

The core v3 should be coming soon with a new controller and higher performance. Who knows how much they will cost though.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Yeah, I don't see how you create a value series when your current low end series has serious performance problems in real world use.

I guess it's for those who only read benchmarks.
aka........sucker buy.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I'm finding LOTS of problems with MLC SSDs.
AHCI and the drivers, bad multi-tasking, slow write-speeds, long pauses, etc. I hope this all gets fixed.

It is, by Microsoft. The trouble with most SSDs is not the hardware itself but how the firmware is written. It doesn't work well with the OS, yet. Microsoft's Windows 7 should fix that.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]It is, by Microsoft. The trouble with most SSDs is not the hardware itself but how the firmware is written. It doesn't work well with the OS, yet. Microsoft's Windows 7 should fix that.[/citation]
Thanks. Now I can sleep more easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS