OCZ Issues Destructive Firmware for Octane Speed Increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Umm, wow. Good job OCZ... Now, find a way to reduce the occurring of failure under 1 year for your Vertex drives, and you will be speed kings and be usable in mission critical situations...

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
To the people complaining about the use of the word destructive, that's actually a common usage of the word in the technical world. And in this case, the wording came from OCZ themselves.

From OCZ's page:
WARNING: This is a Destructive Flash, back up all data on SSD. Proceeding with this update will result in complete loss of data on the SSD.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
reinstall OS and all software I guess... way too much trouble. I'd rather leave it alone until the next upgrade is due anyway. Than I'd delete the drive, upgrade the firmware and use it as a spare or something.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]Customer support at it's best.[/citation]
Um, wouldn't good customer service (you know, keeping customers happy) be to release a product that DIDN'T need data destructive firmware updates to perform to the level expected??

tecmo34

Administrator

At CES 2012, OCZ revealed its Indilinx Everest 2 controller. This will be their second controller after buying Indilinx Everest in 2011. My guess is with the original Octane being OCZ's first SSD based on its own controller and the improvements with the 2nd controller, they were able to improve the drives performance through the firmware update.

king_maliken

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]reinstall OS and all software I guess... way too much trouble. I'd rather leave it alone until the next upgrade is due anyway. Than I'd delete the drive, upgrade the firmware and use it as a spare or something.[/citation]
Just use an image... Simple and fast, why do people complain so much, I'm happy about this.

dietcreamsoda

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Or you could just buy a HDD and not have to do such silly things as imaging your OS drive and flashing the firmware. All I can say is...thank you early SSD adopters. Years of your collective frustration will mean that someday I can own one without any hassles.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
this SSD will crash in 3.... 2... 1... BOOM!

all data lost and months waiting for a new one from RMA

nice performance increase, irrelevant since OCZ SSD reliability is still crap.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
still pretty expensive for it's capacity. On another note, the prices of a 2TB WD harddrive kinda went down. I just got one at amazon for $115

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dietcreamsoda[/nom]Or you could just buy a HDD and not have to do such silly things as imaging your OS drive and flashing the firmware. All I can say is...thank you early SSD adopters. Years of your collective frustration will mean that someday I can own one without any hassles.[/citation]

yea, as a pure boot drive, ssds are great, i will never go back to hdd boot again, and by boot i mean i have a 120gb ssd, and space to back everything up if a flash ever killed the drive. i store no info on the ssd itself, all the storage info is on hdds.

once a 4tb drive comes to 200$, i am getting that instead of haveing 5 hdds.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]Um, wouldn't good customer service (you know, keeping customers happy) be to release a product that DIDN'T need data destructive firmware updates to perform to the level expected??[/citation]
I believe the SSDs were working to the level of performance they originally said they would, this is a speed boost, a free upgrade in performance, not a fix to a broken product (not this specific firmware fix at least).

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]yea, as a pure boot drive, ssds are great, i will never go back to hdd boot again, and by boot i mean i have a 120gb ssd, and space to back everything up if a flash ever killed the drive. i store no info on the ssd itself, all the storage info is on hdds.once a 4tb drive comes to 200$, i am getting that instead of haveing 5 hdds.[/citation]
I said that about 1TB drives, then when they came out and got to 90$ I ended up buying 4 of them :/

Wow, Crucial AND OCZ needing some firmware upgrades just to perform as they were supposed to (and sometimes just to keep your system running).
What is going on with these SSD manufacturers? Can't they get it right from the first time? I mean, it's not like SSDs have been around only for a few months or something.

G

All I have heard and read bad about OCZ. I just can't get excited about this.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
OCZ has some nerve, doubling performance with a quick flash update and expecting us to bother making a drive image.

ITT people using system restore on their SSDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.