OCZ Launches ARC 100 Series Mainstream SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
ikibar1234 - Based on what has been said previously, they'll use the endurance specification as a guideline to determine abuse (write to determine max p/e, or server use of a consumer product etc). If you RMA a drive after 3 months and it shows 40TB written, that will void the warranty because the drive isn't being used in a consumer environment and is abused for the sake of abuse. I am not sure how they will handle the ShieldPlus; if they don't take a CC to secure the shipment I don't see how they can recourse any abuse judgement. Ask in the OCZ forum... they are usually pretty good and "real" people that are pretty competent and friendly.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Good to see OCZ finally release a more price sensitive model.

Strange though, the Scan UK site had some of these listed a couple of
weeks ago (preorder) but now they're gone.

Ian.

Drejeck

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I thought Toshiba would never use again OCZ brand, I think they should start to sell with Toshiba brand, not only because they were on the IT market long before OCZ but because they are a bigger brand. They sell hospital equipment to mainstream products. Quite reliable. OCZ is a distant name in ram, power supplies and now in SSDs.

I thought Toshiba would never use again OCZ brand, I think they should start to sell with Toshiba brand, not only because they were on the IT market long before OCZ but because they are a bigger brand. They sell hospital equipment to mainstream products. Quite reliable. OCZ is a distant name in ram, power supplies and now in SSDs.

I'm not sure why you would downvote him, unless you are some type of masochistic OCZ fan boy.

Branding is very important, and rebranding can help to distance oneself from past debacles (think ValuJet - when it merged with AirTran, which name was retained? You got it - AirTran).

OCZ definitely has a spotty history with reliability, so rebranding under the Toshiba name would have been a good choice. They could even have created a new name, like Toshiba Solid State Storage Division, or something else innocuous that wouldn't bring up bad OCZ memories for a significant amount of people.

For the current time, for a "value" SSD, there's no way I'm picking this Arc model over a Crucial MX100 series.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
If the Arc is a followon tech-wise from the Vertex4 and Vector drives, then it'll be just fine. It was not those models
which had issues. Bugs me that people tarnish OCZ's entire previous lineup with the same brush. Vector/Vertex4
drives are really good.

I have lots of older models aswell (more than 40 total), never had a problem with any OCZ drive so far. YMMV as they say.

I don't like the MX100's poor write performance, no thanks. I'd rather have a Vector or somesuch, though atm I'd probably
just buy an EVO.

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.