OCZ Preps Shipments of 1 TB Octane SSD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
So it's super expensive because it is 1TB. OK, but why is it's IOPS and bandwidth specs lower than high end SSDs? It's like a luxury car with a 1L 3-cylinder Ford ecoboost engine in it.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]mindless728[/nom]It has always been the case the that $/GB on the largest drives are higher than the lower drives and that is usually from a few things1) The cost to have densities that high are much more expensive that lower densities2) There is more R&D that goes into having devices this high end3) Usually more parts in the larger capacity drives (platters for HDD, chips for SSD) that they warrantyLook at the cost of 4TB drives and even 3TB drives, it shows there as well in the HDD sectorAlso, to have 10 240GB SSD's, you would need an add in controller card, granted the cost for that will not be that much in comparison to the drive cost, but it is another part and expansion slot that is used, then there is the amount of power and space that having 10 times more drives (for ssd's power is pretty much negligible, but space is not)btw if you think this is expensive, check out the enterprise grade drives compared to enterprise grade HDD's, there is a huge price difference at the same capacity there as wellI for one would be all for lower $/GB SSD's, but there are a myriad of reasons to why this is not so[/citation]

And... Just like with anything at the "high end" That's where companies milk profits from with their biggest markups.

gabrielleung

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
[citation][nom]ricdiculus[/nom]Could someone please tell me why they cant use a 3.5" formfactor? Wouldnt that allow room for much higher capacity drives with out having to constantly work on cramming more info into smaller chips? I duno, just my 2 cents worth.[/citation]

It ain't that simple, especially when we're dealing with solid state drives.

gabrielleung

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
[citation][nom]JohnUSA[/nom]OCZ can shove this drive where the sun does not shine.[/citation]

I think that would really hurt.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
[citation][nom]mithion[/nom]Last month, we bought new computers for our cluster. They ended up being 32 core (dual interlagos) with 64Gb of ram. Each system cost about 3k. This 1Tb drive costs as much as one of those systems. No offense, but you can keep your freakin SSD drives. I'll get 3Tb old school drive and spend the difference on a beefy processor and dual high end GPUs in my system.[/citation]

Sounds more like you got a decent deal-- on CDW and Newegg, they have dual CPU 16-core server with 64GB of ram-- at $4999, no HDD, OS...

G

Considering that you can get a 64GB SD card for $1 per GB, this product seems pretty expensive. SD cards are the size of a thumbnail, and getting 15 or 20 into the package size they're selling doesn't seem that difficult. I expect some premium for being first and only supplier on the market, but to hit the consumer market it needs to be at 1.5 x harddrive price, or about $500 to take over the market.

phospho

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
sorry if this is the wrong place to post something like this - but i am in medical school, and my time is extremely limited. Not only that, but 99.9% of my studying time is at my laptop. The PDFs alone I needed to read in the last 2 years take about 300 GB (about 1000 pages a week for 2 years straight). Now in third year I am at about 700 GB when almost every other case I deal with involves radiology (i.e. high quality image files). I tend to not delete anything because I always end up needing something I've read before. Yes, at ~2,500 dollars, it would be nuts to buy this drive (especially for someone like me who's at about 350k in student loans), but the drive has been a lifesaver. It has most definitely exceeded my expectations. I upgraded from intel's 320 SSD (600 GB). Note that the first Octane 1tb drive turned out to be a brick, so I returned it, and got another one, which I've been using for about a month now. It is everything it is hyped out to be. It's worth noting that I am not a computer enthusiast. I'm borderline retarded when it comes to computers. I am a huge enthusiast of speed and efficiency though. So, I am a huge fan of this drive. Just thought I'd throw this out there in case someone has been thinking about this drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.