OCZ Shows New Synapse Cache 2.5" SATA 6 GB/s SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KonstantinDK

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Hm, I think this is smth I can actually buy. You don't have to store files on SSD that may fail and you don't have to pick and manage which files exactly you need to move from large HDD to small SSD.

tecmo34

Administrator
The SSD is designed for cache, which the OS is installed on the hard drive. I'm not a 100% sure that it can be used or that you would want to use as a stand alone SSD with OS. You would be better served going with a Crucial m4 or a OCZ Vertex 3 for example in that case.

G

How is this setup?
is this for servers only and you have to set it up in a special Raid 5 setup or something?

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kingbob2[/nom]How is this setup?is this for servers only and you have to set it up in a special Raid 5 setup or something?[/citation]
No its software based, works on desktops. install the new ssd and software and it auto-detects whats files you load the most and puts the files on the ssd for quicker loads. is what i understand.

jaksikaks

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
There is a big error in this article.

It can't be 6000 IOPS for the harddrive in itself. Even the best mechanical drives stay below 1000 IOPS.

Up to

64GB Max Performance
Max Read: up to 550 MB/s
Max Write: up to 490 MB/s
Random Write 4k: 75,000 IOPS

128GB Max Performance
Max Read: up to 550 MB/s
Max Write: up to 510 MB/s
Random Write 4k: 80,000 IOPS

theonlydz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
isn't OCZ having a ton of issues with their drives causing BSOD, not recognizing, etc??? my friend had to return 2/3 that he bought due to these issues.

theonlydz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]nikorr[/nom]I don't think so - no more than others.[/citation]

well when I googled his HD it seemed like they had a nearly 50 percent failure rate.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Theonlydz[/nom]isn't OCZ having a ton of issues with their drives causing BSOD, not recognizing, etc??? my friend had to return 2/3 that he bought due to these issues.[/citation]
Not just OCZ but any ssd that uses the newer Sandforce controller. you may or may not have issues with BSODs, depending on a lot of factors like firmware your mobos sata controller/driver etc.

There are tons of tweaks and changes with SSDs that can help stability, performance, and lifespan(ocz forums are a wealth of knowledge) i think its safe to say that a good % of ppl returning the SSDs for issues could have changed some settings and found stability.

Unfortunately it seems SSDs aren't at the stage where you can install and forget.(that includes intel SSDs as well fanbois)

G

Get one on the older 32 (or is it 45nm) tech. I bought an older plextor sata 3 drive. New egg reviews show only a couple of fails out of many wins. The OCZ drives are dying like flies. The Vertex 2 was the worst. I would say avoid OCZ drives. The Plextor and cheaper brand drives are just as good drives. Just be careful of the controller that is on the card.

SIR-Blade

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Bought this product last week, the 128Gb version. Can't recomend this baby enough.
Reduced my Win7 64Bit boot time from 2Min 34Secs to 1Min 20Secs, and COD load up/map load from 1Min 2 Secs to just 20 seconds.

Been looking out for a while for an SSD cache, to work with my X58 Mboard, and my 5*1TB Samsung SpinPoints in a Raid1+0 array.

Works a charm.

I've already sent emails to OCZ/Nvello asking if they will pair the Dataplex software with the new Revo Drives. That would be just such an awesome combination.
Best thing since sliced bread, and I'm a hard man to please.

Status
Not open for further replies.