OCZ Solid 2 SSD Claims to be Affordable Indilinx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Ya but the speeds still wont touch intels...cheaper is good, but buyer beware, you get what you pay for. my intel ssd has 270 read and 145ish write...

daship

Distinguished
If prices are right one can get two or more and raid 0, and blow the intel single drive speeds away.

I have 4x Core v2 series got them $69 a pop 30G each, raid 0, 507 reads over 300 writes.

G

How much real performance benefit would such a drive give over a new 7200RPM, 500GByte/platter HDD?

Transfer speeds are comparable but obviously the SSD has lower latencies.

Because unless it's noticeably faster than a HDD with 4-8 times the capacity I still wouldn't buy it unless the price were identical.

Storage systems just isn't enough of a bottleneck for me to be worth these investments.

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Why do people care about sequential speeds so much? Do you transfer 10GB media files everyday?

Toms Hardware- Stop advertising the sequential speeds and start showing what matters.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]That's cruddy compared to other SSDs pushing over 230MB/s read. This thing better be affordable.[/citation]
I does make sense for laptops... I mean laptops NEED to be slower than desktops otherwise a lot of people will be wrong. Remember the Mhz race?

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]kaiser_25[/nom]Ya but the speeds still wont touch intels...cheaper is good, but buyer beware, you get what you pay for. my intel ssd has 270 read and 145ish write...[/citation]
The only ssd Intel sells that can put out those speeds is the E model and the 32gb goes for about $400. Considering you could get 2 30gb Vertex Indilinx based drives for $250 and in raid0 they get better performence than your setup with twice the capacity, I would reword your statement. You get what you pay for, but some people pay more than others and some people get more than others.

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
The OCZ Solid 2 drives will come in 64 GB and 128 GB sizes, but sadly and curiously, OCZ isn't letting out pricing details on this "ultra-affordable" drive just yet. Looks like we'll have to wait till it hits stores.

That little detail right there kinda makes this non-news for me. All I really care about is what the price is going to be. To say "affordable" is completely subjective and generally meaningless until you attach a number to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS