OCZ Teases Faster SSD Controller, Remains Mum on Rumors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kryzzay

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]OCZ instead of making a faster SSD, hows about making one that is reliable and works FIRST go not requiring 10+ firmware updates to "fix" i expect things to work out of the box its a joke.[/citation]

Agreed luckily I only had to 1 firmware update. No reliability issues so far.

[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]That is what I hear, and yet in the 26+ years I have used computers I have never once had a Seagate fail. Back in the day I never had issues where they did not want to work properly with other brand drives atached to the same cable. I have never had a Seagate 'loose' 45% of the drive for no apparent reason. And yet I have had no end of troubbles with each of these problems every time I have tried a WD drive. Perhaps it is dumb luck, but it is why I use Seagate in my rigs. They are not the fastest, but they simply work, and in the last 11 years I have been buying HDDs (2-3 a year) I have never had a single drive fail from them. I have abandoned many because they were simply too old (5 years is a long time for storage tech), but never did one die on me.[/citation]

In my experience, the manufacturer often isn't the only factor in the drive reliability and the actual series/model can be even more important. Seagate has had some bad lines, WD has had some bad lines, IBM has had some bad lines, Maxtor has had some bad line, and so on, but they've also had good lines. You people can say what you want about Maxtor, but my 8 year old Maxtor 80GB first-gen SATA drive from an old Dell Dimension E510 is still working just fine (pulled drive and put into another computer after a particularly bad virus seemed to have somehow caused physical damage to the motherboard).

cybersans

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
i never update my ocz vertex 3's firmware since bought 3 months ago. the firmware still v2.15

only 1337 users will survive with factory setting's firmware. those n00b will always update their firmware and will not notice any differences!

Cantisque

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
My Vertex 3 still has the original firmware and works perfectly. I also don't see the point in making SSD's faster when you don't notice any real world difference. I didn't really notice any improvement between my old Vertex 2 and the Vertex 3.
I upgraded to 3 because I needed more disk space, not because it was much higher spec. Since I never do large file transfers onto SSD's, making them faster isn't going to do much good. Let me know when they make a breakthrough with the capacity and then I'll be interested.

G

The current controllers for ssd are not much inspiring. While there are improvements, seems like reliability hasn't gone up much. Would like to see these 2 big shots(Adaptec and LSI) tech help out SSD.
Doubt will ever see their tech in SSD since their FAT money maker is in SAS n fiber channel market.

gorillagarrett

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
If Obama had an economic policy and we could trust that such a policy would not change in 6mo, then we would not be in half the mess we are in (still a mess though, the Prez doesn't control everything). Businesses rely on accurate predictable fiscal policy in order to make long term decisions, and to head towards long term growth. Having a Gov't where we simply do not know what directions things are headed causes the people with money to hold back (as they should) instead of taking risks in expanding into other fields and venues. I am not saying that 'Bamster-care is good or bad, but the fact that it was so close, and that there was/is no way to know what effect it would have on the economy (because neither side read the bill, and those who read it did not understand it), made it a massive roadblock to progress. Now that it is passed (even though I completely disagree with it) we should leave it be, we need leadership that simply stops stiring the pot, and does the expected, so that we can just do what we do.

Also, it is not Obamacare, Obama did not write it, Obama does not agree with it, and Obama knows absolutely nothing about economics or the healthcare system. Obama pushed for a single-payer system, which he did not get. All he did was see this bill as closer to his ideal than the current system, so he signed it (and did the normal rig-a-ma-roll of pushing the party line, but that is his job, not his opinion). Conservatives are morons for believing that Obama had anything more to do with it than that. Liberals are morons to think that what passed will be any better than what has already been in place.

Every last politician should be thrown in jail for spending such massive amounts of debt on things which have only slowed down the crash (and recovery) instead of making intelligent decisions which could have avoided the problems in the first place. Because frankly this housing crash was seen coming a mile away (granted not the extreme consequences of it), and the next crash that will come when everyone finally retires will be much worse (what happens to the stock market and the companies who are on it when more than 50% of it's investors begin withdrawing to live on their savings rather than putting money into the market?!?), and NOBODY is talking about how to fix that yet.

Vote Caeden Vintori for President,
I don't know what the hell I am doing, but I can't be worse than the people in office now

it's probably not even Obama's idea, this Health Care "Reform". Obama, Bush, and most of the rest of our politicians who are supposed to represent us, the people, and our interests, are but mere puppets in the hands of the owners of this country.

Who owns and runs the country, you might ask.Well, let's see:

Who owns and runs the Federal Reserve Bank, which is a private corporation that the US government continually borrows from and is in debt to? In fact, The Biggest Holder of US national Debt is the Fed.That debt has recently surpassed $16 trillions and is rising every second.

Who owns and runs the vast majority of US television networks, the printed press, the Hollywood movie industry, the book publishing industry, and the recording industry?

Who run Wall Street and the major corporations in the united states such as Google, MS, Intel, Exxon Mobil, Chevron, BP, Amoco, Conoco, Arco?

The truth is: A small ethnic minority (shalom!) runs the country and they sure don't give a s**t about the rest of us, who pay all the taxes and do all the work.

To be more concrete, there is no democracy in our country.A tiny minority overrules and runs the majority in the US.Now as ironic as that may sound, it's the ugly truth that few know, and fewer people dare to speak about.

[citation][nom]Cantisque[/nom]My Vertex 3 still has the original firmware and works perfectly. I also don't see the point in making SSD's faster when you don't notice any real world difference. I didn't really notice any improvement between my old Vertex 2 and the Vertex 3.I upgraded to 3 because I needed more disk space, not because it was much higher spec. Since I never do large file transfers onto SSD's, making them faster isn't going to do much good. Let me know when they make a breakthrough with the capacity and then I'll be interested.[/citation]
Agreed, My Solid 3 and Agility 3 work perfectly fine. Never even tried a firmware update (figured I would do it if I found a problem), just slap it in, switch to AHCI, install programs, and follow the Tom's guide for SSD optimization. And I have full confidence that both drives will live for the 3 years I am expecting before they are replaced by much larger drives (looking at getting a single ~1TB SSD in both machines, and then a network backup of everything, and cloud backup of documents and desktop).

That said, on my budget builds I do for others I have recently started putting in Mushkin drives, and they have much more bang for the buck.

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]Too bad you didn't finish that class, or hear the end of the story. He didn't drive down the price for the sake of driving down the price. He was trying to keep upstarts from getting into the game, and driving anyone else out there who was in the game. It was about control, so that he could decide how much to sell for and who to sell to. By pricing his competitors out of the market, he could have his company subsume their collateral (their steel mines/rights) and take down bigger companies. Then, as the only game in town, he could set prices as he liked. I respectfully ask that you read up more on Carnegie, Rockefeller, and the others who brought about the anti-monopoly legislation we have now. You are mistaken if you expect that one company in control of a market is going to be good for consumers in the long run.[/citation]

So you deny the value that Carnegie and Rockefeller brought to their consumers? You know once they achieved their monopolistic position they didn't increase their prices? Perhaps they were competiting on a global scale and some of the consquences of Globalization is lower prices?

Look at the facts instead of instantly deeming monopolies as evil.
Besides what keeps a monopoly going is lack of competition, but as soon as they increase prices competition will come back from the wilds to compete. Look at predatory pricing against Dupont, and how that business man handled the situation.

Jakusonfire

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
I own 3 OCZ drives. An Agility 2, a Vertex three and now a Vertex 4. I've never had a single problem with any of them. The oldest one is 4 years old in my trusty netbook that is used every day. I also have a stack of dead mechanical HDD's, most of which are newer.
That's plenty reliable enough for me.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]Kurz[/nom]So you deny the value that Carnegie and Rockefeller brought to their consumers? You know once they achieved their monopolistic position they didn't increase their prices? Perhaps they were competiting on a global scale and some of the consquences of Globalization is lower prices?Look at the facts instead of instantly deeming monopolies as evil.Besides what keeps a monopoly going is lack of competition, but as soon as they increase prices competition will come back from the wilds to compete. Look at predatory pricing against Dupont, and how that business man handled the situation.[/citation]

Again, not to start an arguement, but you're looking at how far they got, not what they were intending to do. We know from historical records, from documents abotu the internal communications of thier compnaies and so forth, that the entire point is so that no one else CAN compete. That is the point of a monopoly. You take over the market, eliminate not only the competition that is already there, but any competition that can come up. Like I said in my original post, Carnegie was more interested in the rights to mines than anything else. If one company owns all the means of production, how is anyone supposed to compete? They can't make anything if they don't have the resources available. I will readily admit that in regards to HDD manufacturing it's not as simple an issue, and neither am I deeming all monoplies as automatically evil. But that tends to be like the arguement between a monarchy and a democracy - a king doesn't have to be evil or corrupt, but that is the most likely outcome, and unlike a democracy, you don't have the option of another choice in four years or sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.