OCZ's 1 TB Colossus SSD Costs $2200

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
These first-gen drives are such a waste for RAID! Anybody can see that the Sata II interface is becoming the performance bottleneck. It would be wiser to wait for Sata III drives to appear and pair them with a 600MB/s Sata III controller.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I just bought an OCZ Vertex 30GB. Sure, 60 GB would've been nice but these SSDs are so expensive. I didn't bother with anything slower than the Vertex - either you shed some green for a fast drive or you don't.

Also, a reminder, SSDs are still only really worth it when random access is the bottleneck. Sure, 200-250 MBps is nice, but it's "only" 2-3 times faster than physical drives and IMO not worth the price.

maisere

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
At $22 per Gb, is it just me or is the price slowly coming down?

Having said that, spindle drives are rougly $0.1-$0.5 per Gb so they have a long way to go.

hacker91

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
the prices of these things is enormous compared to the price of the chips. 4gb USb drive is $6 . the only thing I see is greedy ass companies in a colapsed global economy. Keep it up we want you to fail and go under. Theres only room for those companies willing to adjust to the changes in the world. Meaning lower pricing when its very easily done. I will continue to use mechanical HDs till these drives and those making them wake up.

[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]I'd buy that 128GB for $150 but not $300...The prices on these are still too high...*Taps his foot* I'm waiting...[/citation]

oh yes, because so many of us use bios passwords

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]mindless728[/nom]oh yes, because so many of us use bios passwords[/citation]

RTFA. The problem arises when someone uses the password based security mechanism on the drive itself. Any attempt to disable or change the password once it has been set apparently causes the data to self destruct. Not really a good feature, but hey at least it's secure.

cekasone

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I will stick to my two Western Digital 500GB Black Edition drives in a RAID 0 before I ever think about an SSD. What we really want is SATA3.

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Price is still retarded...they are just trying to push big numbers while the tech is new for... ya deep pocket companies or rich kids, wait a year for the SSD market to calm down and everyone will be happy...go intel ssd best reliability/price for current market. Wait 2 years and the current 80GB drives will be near garbage.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]vipaul[/nom]This one doesn't have a Jmicron Memory controller but a Jmicron RAID controller which links two Indilinx barefoot Memory controllers. So the speeds should be impressive.[/citation]

ahh. k, that's a little more reasonable.

But i still like the comment of 4 256 in raid 0. But that poses the problem of enterprise applications, that's 4 friggin sata ports vs 1, not to mention deployment of a single drive is always easier than deploying 4 drives in raid. I think i'll just buy 20 terabyte drives and raid them all and compare speeds instead.

mgr

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Any idea if the Colossus's internal RAID setup handles the problem of RAID controllers not (yet anyway) being able to pass Windows 7's TRIM command to an SSD array. I'm intent on getting a new machine with two SSDs in Raid-0 as soon as Win7 releases, but the word so far is that RAID block, the TRIM function.

Status
Not open for further replies.