OCZ's HSDL: A New Storage Link For Super-Fast SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

First time saw those numbers, i gasped for air... OCZ, can you try to saturated with PCIe 2.0 x16 bandwidth? And can anyone tell me how much is it in Write and Read speeds at that bandwith?

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Very nice to see secondary storage tech at orders of magnitude beyond what we're used to. Can't wait for this type of tech to become mainstream.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Stuff like this makes me wish I was involved in an enterprise-class technology environment that could actually benefit from 130,000 IOPS in a package like this. I guess I don't need to ditch my Agility 60, but I like where OCZ is headed.

h8signingin

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Yet there are already drives that outperform these by a large margin available for a while now, like this:
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=RGS0256M&title=Super-Talent-RAIDDrive-GS-256GB-RAID0-PCI-Express-x8-Solid-State-Drive

Read 1.4GB/s, Write 1.2GB/s

At those speeds, it's like writing to RAM, only it's your hard drive.
There were also capacities up to 1TB that cost about $4,000. There were even SLC models (which cost 4x more, approx. $15,000) which are slightly faster still.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having 1TB of "slow" RAM as my hard drive, but it's just beyond my budget.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]h8signingin[/nom]Yet there are already drives that outperform these by a large margin available for a while now, like this:http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.ph [...] tate-DriveRead 1.4GB/s, Write 1.2GB/sAt those speeds, it's like writing to RAM, only it's your hard drive.There were also capacities up to 1TB that cost about $4,000. There were even SLC models (which cost 4x more, approx. $15,000) which are slightly faster still.Personally, I wouldn't mind having 1TB of "slow" RAM as my hard drive, but it's just beyond my budget.[/citation]

Yup, check it out! =)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/super-talent-raiddrive,2513.html

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
OK sorry to say i that i do not see how you can compare Super Talent to this one. first its based on an X8 slot as opposed to an x4, but if you want to im sure someone out there will compare the x8 releas of this technolagy to the super talent, second if you read not so closely the super talent uses 4 raided SSD drives whitch means your 3 drives over for comparison, this is after all the performance from a single drive and a single controller and its already half way to the bandwith of the super talent, drop in a second card and you still have room to spare for bandwith, drop in there announced x8 card and you have 4x 740mb read 690mb write VS the 4x 355mb read 215mb write that might be used in the super talent last time i checked 2760mb read was much more then a 1420mb read not to mention that even at those speeds the OCZ flaver still has 1.25 gigs of bandwith open on there x8 card... then again i can be wrong about this entire shpeal...

dredj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
WOW! I kinda want show this to my boss to see if we can upgrade our servers. *sigh* Wish we were one of those give-me-more-performance-at-any-cost kind of companies. Oh well, can't wait for the trickle down to enthusiast level, I'm itching for a new build. :)

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]compton[/nom]Stuff like this makes me wish I was involved in an enterprise-class technology environment that could actually benefit from 130,000 IOPS in a package like this. I guess I don't need to ditch my Agility 60, but I like where OCZ is headed.[/citation]
I just showed this and the Revo drive to my boss and he is going to get the funds to do some testing.. In our clusters we are mainly limited by drive speed and we have previously tested the Fusion IO Drive Duo but they are just too expensive..

lp231

Splendid
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]eh heh, my predictions were right.On this "AsRock Wants the Best Mobo ideas"I've posted an idea of this "4. Add SAS ports as they can also run regular SATA as well as them 15K drives. But most might say SSD is faster. If that is why not a SAS SSD?"And here it is! SAS SSD!W00T!http://www.tomshardware.com/news/m [...] 11308.html[/citation]

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I would have loved to see Windows boot time numbers with this thing. I'd imagine pairing this thing with a super-fast posting board would make you computer turn on almost instantaneously.

G

I wonder if this drive would be able to shave off any time with transcoding video vs a regular SSD or would the i7 series cpu be that bottleneck?

For those of you talking about prices and wishing you could afford. OCZ is not targeting you for these. They are targeting enterprise usage. (Basically corporations or any other type of company that has a lot of money.) For example. If you had a huge database and many people needed instant access to the information at the same time. These drives would come in handy. (Parhaps someday prices of memory will be low enough that we can all enjoy these awesome speeds.) But unless you have a deep wallet don't bet on having one of these any time soon.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]ReclusiveOrc[/nom]I wonder if this drive would be able to shave off any time with transcoding video vs a regular SSD or would the i7 series cpu be that bottleneck?[/citation]
I'm going to assuming by transcoding, you mean a (re)encode of the video stream.

It's almost always the CPU that's the bottleneck for these processes. That's why GPGPU can quadruple the speed.

tom thumb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
The best price point is the 480gb version for $1300. Considering the extreme performance of these drives and how much regular SSDs cost, it seems like a reasonable price.

... still cripplingly expensive for me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS