OCZ's Vertex 3 Pro: Second-Gen SandForce Perf Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
This is why i haven't bought a SSD yet. One it's freakin expensive 2 not enough capacity 3 it's freakin expensive! It'll go down next year when the world ends in 2012.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Price is lower then last generation. A shrink in die size means cheaper manufacturing costs, lower power usage, and better performance. Thats what happens when every hardware company shrinks their chips.
Considering this is going to have the same amount of space, its going to be a cheaper SSD.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
These are for enterprise use, that's why they are priced so high. They have features average consumers don't need. In other words, you're wasting your money if you are putting these into your home computer.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
OCZ Vertex 3 Pro MSRP Pricing:
100GB: $525, $5.35 per GB
200GB: $775, $3.88 per GB
400GB: $1350, $3.38 per GB

Getting cheaper, but still far outside my price range given their relative capacities. Even taking their amazing performance into account, it's still going to be a difficult sell for all but the most passionate enthusiasts, pros with heavy server workloads, or hardcore idiots. You're definitely not going to be getting your moneys worth putting one of these into your gaming rig. Enterprise type applications experience the largest benefits from these types of drives, and it's probably the only application where the performance benefits balance out the higher costs.

The article made it perfectly clear the drive is not a drive that will be offered to consumers, gamers, and pc enthusiasts. How is OCZ going to reduce prices for consumer drives? Reduce features? Cut corners? Replace high quality components with lesser quality components? On answer is OCZ will reduc features. I'd like to know what else OCZ is going to do.

G

Please add a TrueCrypt benchmark to your SSD evaluations, for two reasons. First, the difficulty of truly erasing data on a flash drive makes data security more important. Second, there are drives (like Sandforce) that use compression and may behave differently when storing encrypted (high entropy) data.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Presently Plextor M2-M2S offer 370-420MB/s read for what... (64gb)150$-(128gb)250$. Vextor 3 price is out of the loop, it's too expensive. At this price I can buy 2 Plextor and put them in RAID 0.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
THANK YOU

you finaly put normal hdds in a ssd review with tests, its nice to see the comparison.

now i do hate to ask this... but until SATA 6 Gb/s hit the market big, can we get the drive also tested in a SATA 3 Gb/s configuration? this would be largely bennifitial to people to know. because im assuming that even with the 3's limited bandwidth, some operations will still be faster between the two

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Didn't see the new Plextor drives when I was ordering Corsair Performance 3 128GB SSD at newEgg. Well... I'm pretty happy with it anyway. Hope the day comes soon when regular HDDs will be remember as much as music tapes today :) and where 2TB 1GB/s SSDs are standard :)

G

You have to multiply the power (watts) by the time it took in order to get a meaningful, comparable number (energy).

Figaro56

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Why did the review have comparison against the other top SATA 6 drive out there today, EG, Crucial C300? Very odd.

Figaro56

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
I agree, where is the Crucial C300. Go to Anandtech, they show the C300 in their review. If you own a C300 you will happy to see that it is still a relevant SSD. The Vertex 3 doesn't blow it away.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I second ChrisHF. Power is free. It's energy that costs money and raises temperatures inside a PC case. Please include either Joules (1 Watt = 1 Joule / second), Wh (3600 Joules) or kWh (3.6 M Joules) in your discussions about energy consumption. You always end up having to note that something uses more power but finishes faster... by graphing the relative energy consumption rather than the power consumption, you automatically resolve this confusion.

Other than that, thanks for the article. If anything, hopefully the faster high-end devices will cause lower-end devices to reduce in price just like what happens with CPUs. I can only hope.

jabberwolf

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
These are the droids youre looking for... no seriously these drives are NOT for home use. The PRO series is just that for enterprise.
And thats definately WOWing me ... if I need to through this into the Xenserver with Netcaching for VDI deployment.. CRAP I WANT/NEED THIS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.