OCZ's Vertex 3 Pro: Second-Gen SandForce Perf Preview

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I don't get a lot of these comments:
Price: It's an enterprise class drive
How will they make it cheaper: Decreased reserve space, absence of super capacitor, etc. All in the article. Not to mention the intentional inflation of prices for enterprise segment.
Cost per gig: again, enterprise class. Look at the relative costs of the vertex 2 and vertex 2 pro. There is a gap.
Absence of testing on 3gb/sec: ??? The entire point of the article was to test a drive that would totally saturate the 3gb/sec system. 3gb/sec =375MB/sec. This is the absolute max it could achieve and it would probably be within 10% of that in real use. Who cares? Why on earth would you spend the money on the drive if your system cannot utilize it. Get two of the previous generation and split the load across two connections in raid0, get a PCI-E controller card with 6gb/s, or forget about it.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
SSD manufacturers should really start focusing on increasing the capacity and lowering the cost. These types of speeds are cool and all, but completely pointless for most applications.

The only major application that would really see a benefit from is image/video processing. Trying to capture uncompressed video is the only process which can typically actually max out a connection other than backups. Backups can be automated and run during down-time, though, so that's not much of any issue.

Of course... Uncompressed video takes up something like 400GB and hour for 720p.... Yay! A $1400 drive can hold half a movie worth of footage. God help you if you want 1080p.

Super-fast read/writes don't mean much if there isn't enough space to read/write the information. It's simply not practical.

Now IOSpeed... That can be useful for servers, no doubt, but it's obvious that there wasn't any new R&D put into that aspect since the numbers match previous generations.

I won't say this is a completely pointless advancement of the technology, it will become relevant some day, but the research is improving the wrong things.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]italiabrain[/nom]I don't get a lot of these comments:price: It's an enterprise class driveHow will they make it cheaper: Decreased reserve space, absence of super capacitor, etc. All in the article. Not to mention the intentional inflation of prices for enterprise segment.Cost per gig: again, enterprise class. Look at the relative costs of the vertex 2 and vertex 2 pro. There is a gap.Absence of testing on 3gb/sec: ??? The entire point of the article was to test a drive that would totally saturate the 3gb/sec system. 3gb/sec =375MB/sec. This is the absolute max it could achieve and it would probably be within 10% of that in real use. Who cares? Why on earth would you spend the money on the drive if your system cannot utilize it. Get two of the previous generation and split the load across two connections in raid0, get a PCI-E controller card with 6gb/s, or forget about it.[/citation]

well lets look at it this way, if i re wrote that drive 100gb a day, every day, it would last close to 7 years.

computers however, only last 2-4 years depending on your build.

lets say im on year 3 of a high end build. ill probably replace the computer entirely within 2 years.

windows craps out, or something along those lines, so i decided to get a new boot drive. do i get a 3gb/sec or a 6gb/sec, knowing that in within 2 years i will get a 6gb/sec system?

this is a hypothetical, but a real world reason for geting a 6gb/sec over a 3gb/sec

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Price is lower then last generation. A shrink in die size means cheaper manufacturing costs, lower power usage, and better performance. Thats what happens when every hardware company shrinks their chips.Considering this is going to have the same amount of space, its going to be a cheaper SSD.[/citation]

Die shrink of NAND flash chips tends to have less write cycles and a bit less performance but reduced cost.

I'll stick by 2 X 1TB 7200rpm HDD's in RAID0 thanks ... 2TB of space ... less than $180.

Until SSD's can come a lot closer to HDD's in terms of price and size ... they are out for me.

Plus, I don't see they last long enough to warrant the cost.

lasaldude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Bigmac80[/nom]This is why i haven't bought a SSD yet. One it's freakin expensive 2 not enough capacity 3 it's freakin expensive! It'll go down next year when the world ends in 2012.[/citation]

You can get a 120 Gig Vertex 2 for $170USD to $200USD and it is very worth it. No more excuses!

lasaldude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
You could buy two Vertex 120 gigs for cheaper than the 100 or 200 gig and have more space and less cost in RAID.

Yeah I know they're not enterprise!

G

Odd that you would compare an Enterprise drive (OCZ) against a consumer
grade drives (Crucial and Intel X25M.

"...we find that the Porsche is quicker and more nimble than the Prius." Not very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.