Question Odd computer crash. Display freezes on one color, audio works. Only on certain games.

cheekyspirit

Prominent
Dec 31, 2021
My PC has been crashing oddly while playing games where I hear a whirring noise from my headphones; then the screen will freeze on one color, and the whirring stops. I can then hear the game's audio or any music I'm playing. The fans usually go fast when this happens, and the computer needs a hard reboot. Even weirder, this doesn't happen with every game. I've played many games without a hitch, like Cyberpunk, Far Cry 5, Dishonored 2, Hades, Satisfactory, etc. There are a few games that will consistently crash, like Outer Wilds (about 30 minutes in), Divinity Original Sin 2 (only when there are a lot of effects on the screen, like a blast or something), and Borderlands 2.
Outer Wilds and Borderlands 2 are not demanding games, and I've turned the graphics down to medium. I also have the graphics set to medium on Divinity. I tried playing other games at high quality for science and suffered sub 30 fps but no crashes.

I used to have this issue over a year ago, but a lot more frequently, and with most games, I realized the computer was plugged into an extension cable. Since it's been plugged into a wall, this issue rarely ever happens to most games other than the ones I mentioned it consistently happens with.

PC was built by a friend a few years ago. I've only replaced the GPU at one point from a GTX 1070 to a GTX 1070 Ti.
Specs:
Windows 10 Pro
i5-7600K at 3.8GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
1TB HDD
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z270-K
RAM: 16 GB

Sadly, the most important spec is the one you did not post, and is usually the most probable one to cause these types of issues. And the fact that plugging it into an extension cable or power strip, which you should avoid doing anyhow whenever possible, makes it even more likely.

So, what is the EXACT model of your power supply and how long has it been in service/use?

cheekyspirit

Prominent
Dec 31, 2021
Sadly, the most important spec is the one you did not post, and is usually the most probable one to cause these types of issues. And the fact that plugging it into an extension cable or power strip, which you should avoid doing anyhow whenever possible, makes it even more likely.

So, what is the EXACT model of your power supply and how long has it been in service/use?

PSU: EVGA 600 B 80 PLUS Bronze.
Been in use exactly 5 years

System seems to need 500-599 Watts based on Newegg's calculator.

That PSU was a piece of trash on day one. I'm sorry, but that is what it is. The fact that it actually MADE IT 5 years, is something of a miracle to be honest because those B1 units were pretty historically horrific. Right up there with the Thermaltake TR2 units when it comes to known brand craptastic examples. And being 5 years on top of it. There is really no other advice I could give that makes any sense aside from replace that first and then go from there IF it doesn't solve the problem. That PSU should have never been in use with that graphics card. Not even remotely in the same league.

TRENDING THREADS