Question Odd Disk Failures/Issues Even After Replacing "Bad" Drive ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vaironl

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Hello!

Several months ago Windows 10 continued to crash at random times and on boot up I would have the automatic disk repair utility come up. I thought it was clearly my SSD going bad since I had it for nearly five years. However, the Samsung hard drive tool found no issues and neither did Samsung support when I RMAd it. I still got a new Samsung 1TB SSD and removed the old one.

I do have one second, old HDD, that has Windows 10 as a backup in case I have issues. Essentially I have been running on the 1TB SSD, Windows 10 version while having that HDD as backup. Earlier this week I had libre office, Chrome, and Itunes continuously open. Throughout the day I had place the PC in sleep mode and woken it several times, at some point it started to become extremely slow and unusable so I did a hard shutdown after trying to bring up the task manager manually but failing. This brought me back to the scan and repair screen which kept running in loops for about an hour. At some point I did another hard shut down and this process kept happening until a screen told me “Automatic repair couldn’t repair your PC”.

Now I am unsure if I may have screwed the process and caused a corruption, if Windows 10 is causing these issues or the other parts on my PC are too old. I built this PC back in 2013, upgrading the GPU, RAM, and graphics card only, so perhaps the MOBO or other components are starting to fail and I should upgrade? Does anyone have additional pointers on what may be happening?

Here’s a link to my original parts: [https://pcpartpicker.com/b/jqWZxr](https://pcpartpicker.com/b/jqWZxr)

Just keep in mind the RAM, GPU, and PSU are upgraded and I have not gathered those being in a rush today but can if needed or helpful.

Thanks!

vaironl

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
PSU has 7 year warranty, its currently 5. It should be okay for at least 2 more years. My PSU has a 10 year warranty, I have only used it 2 years... shame I need to replace it to get new GPU.

finding a faster CPU might be difficult. There comes a time you need a new PC, not just a few parts.

you can replace them. Most cases use similar sized fans so just buy a replacement one.

I don't believe in selling drives. Its a landmine for someone else. Better to just keep them or destroy them.
Just as I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand drive as my data is valuable to me. You have no idea if it will work next start.

I have the drives from one PC in my drawer, drives from my last PC are still in it. Its possible the drives from my PC I had in 2005 are still in its case too... in garage.

edit: actually I think the second hard ssd (500GB) had windows at some point and this same issue so perhaps that’s why this is happening again. But if it happens after I once again wipe everything, am unsure as to what I can do.

Well unfortunately after about 2-3 days of use the issue persisted. I reinstalled Windows with only one drive in and later added my 500 GB SSD and the oldest 1TB drive. My thinking was that all of these drives were added post install and setup but my PC just randomly stops to a halt and when I do a hard shutdown and restart I just can’t get back to anything. Would still say the PSU is one of the main concerns?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
edit: actually I think the second hard ssd (500GB) had windows at some point and this same issue so perhaps that’s why this is happening again. But if it happens after I once again wipe everything, am unsure as to what I can do.
was 120gb ssd in PC at time?
I reinstalled Windows with only one drive in and later added my 500 GB SSD and the oldest 1TB drive.

Were the 2 drives you added blank or still had data on them?
If they still had stuff on them, check in bios and make sure they haven't been added into the boot order

i suspected PSU for killing drives, not for them just not working. SSD & NVME really don't use that much power, nvme can actually turn themselves off when not being used but they do use more power when running compared to ssd. I don't know if it would be enough to cause problems like this.

I would be tempted to only add one of the drives, as its possible the drive you adding is cause. Or run a week or so with just C to see if it happens.

your PC part picker link doesn't work now.

vaironl

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
was 120gb ssd in PC at time?

It was not, I did removed it and replaced it for my newer-ish 850 EVO 500GB. However, at some point I was using that as a Windows drive too and thought I wiped it entirely, since that's were I originally started experiencing the issues.

Were the 2 drives you added blank or still had data on them?
If they still had stuff on them, check in bios and make sure they haven't been added into the boot order

i suspected PSU for killing drives, not for them just not working. SSD & NVME really don't use that much power, nvme can actually turn themselves off when not being used but they do use more power when running compared to ssd. I don't know if it would be enough to cause problems like this.

I would be tempted to only add one of the drives, as its possible the drive you adding is cause. Or run a week or so with just C to see if it happens.

I already went through a lot of the reformatting, again so won't see a lot of useful information from before, but I recall the 850 did indeed come up in the BIOS as the only Windows Boot Manager drive. When I inspected the disk it indeed had a hidden Windows boot partition. I am still lost as to why it happened again as I had installed Windows on the 870 by itself (all other drives disconnected).

I'm now committing to the idea of debugging this issue but will be giving the PC to a younger relative that could use it for school and just started picking out parts again. This time I am excited to put a new PC together myself, even if I perhaps I put together an okay-ish, rather than great, system. Actually just reserved a Ryzen 7 with 32GB DDR5 bundle, will slowly build up the new PC and declare it a Christmas gift to myself.

your PC part picker link doesn't work now.

It seems I again deleted it by accident

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GNbvQ6

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($111.24 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1866 CL10 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.89 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Total: $526.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-12-10 23:11 EST-0500

Colif

Win 11 Master
Actually just reserved a Ryzen 7 with 32GB DDR5 bundle, will slowly build up the new PC and declare it a Christmas gift to myself.
nice gift. I am just getting money towards a new GPU/PSU myself. Not a very exciting xmas

so 870 is C drive but it disappeared and only the 850 was showing?
so they all ssd (no nvme as such)
I wonder if its the sata port, have you tried using other ones?

vaironl

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
nice gift. I am just getting money towards a new GPU/PSU myself. Not a very exciting xmas
Will follow your profile to see what you decide to get. Will say, I am very fortunate at present day as I've saved up a bit over time for emergencies, but I am always a bit budget conscious in other areas to hopefully spend a bit more in hobbies, especially since I work with tech related stuff all day.

so 870 is C drive but it disappeared and only the 850 was showing?
so they all ssd (no nvme as such)
I wonder if its the sata port, have you tried using other ones?
The 870 C is indeed the C: drive, where I had install Windows by itself. However, after I connected the 850, both drives showed, but the boot manager was on the 850. I think I may have done some things in between so cannot recall if it happened on first boot or subsequent boots.
All of my drives are SATA, indeed. The cables are almost 10 years. When you say using other ones do you mean trying different ports on the CPU?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have been contemplating the upgrade for 5 months now, plenty of time to save up. I just kept changing mind as to what card, was going to be a 6800xt but I waited too long, now its a 7900xt most likely. I buy PSU once I know what I have.

try replacing sata cables and see if that helps.
different sata ports on motherboard, though that might slow you down as you only have 2 x 6gb ports, rest are 3gb. I would try new sata cables.

you can't have cleared the 850 for its Boot partition to still exist. Did you use Diskpart / clean?

Boot from installer

On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install

Pick troubleshoot

Pick advanced

Pick Command Prompt

Type diskpart and press enter

Type list disk and press enter

This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

vaironl

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I have been contemplating the upgrade for 5 months now, plenty of time to save up. I just kept changing mind as to what card, was going to be a 6800xt but I waited too long, now its a 7900xt most likely. I buy PSU once I know what I have.

try replacing sata cables and see if that helps.
different sata ports on motherboard, though that might slow you down as you only have 2 x 6gb ports, rest are 3gb. I would try new sata cables.

you can't have cleared the 850 for its Boot partition to still exist. Did you use Diskpart / clean?

Boot from installer

On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install

Pick troubleshoot

Pick advanced

Pick Command Prompt

Type diskpart and press enter

Type list disk and press enter

This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.
I see I totally missed this message, sorry for that life got hectic. Will try out this suggestion over the next week or two. I have been using it with two SSD a connected but only one being used entirely, I will install something like iTunes on the second SSD and see if that causes issues if not it must be the Sata, power cable or other component of the third SSD.

btw, I decides to buy all the parts for my second build but wanted some additional advice to see if my PSU is good enough or an 850W is a better choice. I don’t think I’ll upgrade within the next 4 years or so.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2LWCnt

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor ($348.98)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 240 Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($0.01)
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $873.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-12-28 23:44 EST-0500