Odd Graphical texture glitches while gaming

praxal

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
As of recently I've been having some odd texture pops while I'm gaming. In DIablo 3 it's showing as spikes of random colors that show for a second on the screen, usually during high action moments. In WoW some textures vanish and pop in and out repeatedly as well as the aforementioned random spikes of color that appear for a second. This also seemed to be happening as I tried other games as well.

All the temps seem normal and CPU and Ram usages is about as average as it always is. I tried decreasing game graphics settings to no avail. I was on the latest beta drivers and rolled them back and got no difference.

I removed the card from the PC and dusted the entire case, using compressed air dusters to clean it out as well as the card's vents.

Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz Lynnfield 45nm Technology
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55D PRO (LGA1156)
ASUS VS239 (1920x1080@60Hz)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series (XFX Pine Group)
931GB Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 ATA Device (SATA)

praxal

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
I had already lowered my settings, it didn't work as I said in my original post.

As for the RAM timings I'm not sure how to adjust those, but would it affect my graphical performance or correct any sort of glitches?

Open the Catalyst Control Centre, click on the 'performance' tab, then the 'overdrive' option the click on the 'enable graphics overdrive' box to check it then use the sliders to raise/lower the clock speed. Don't forget the click 'accept' to make the changes stick.
I'd be savage to start with and drop the memory by 100MHz to test.

praxal

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
The CCC only let me push it down 100MHz anyhow. And when I launched Diablo 3 I was getting a few spikes still, though as I exited the game it left me with nothing but a black screen and my mouse cursor, though I could still clicking things on my desktop.

Looks like the problem is the graphics card overheating, it shouldn't be running that hot with that type of workload.
Try this:
Restart the system and disable any startup programs.
Wait a few minuets.
Recheck the temperatures.
With GPU-Z running to log the temperatures, load and play a game for a couple of minuets, Alt-Tab out of the game and see how hot the graphics card is.

praxal

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
Alright, so I restarted with no programs running to get a baseline.
At idle my GPU sits at about 47C
Playing Diablo 3 at high and low settings I hit about 81C and got the graphical and texture spike and pop ins.
On WoW I got to about 74C and got quite a few issue with spell effect bugging and ground textures flickering and vanishing.

praxal

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
Done some fiddling with settings and fan controls, still no luck.

I set the fan to max to hold down the temps while I played and I still got the glitches and texture spikes in every game I've tried.

I'm beginning to thing it's just my GPU on its last legs.