Odd motherboard power connector?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lonewarrior2

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Hello, I had a question I'm hoping someone can help me with here...

Most motherboards come with either a 20 or 24-pin power connector.
I just bought a pc and only thing I saw wrong with it was the power supply being too weak for adding a graphics card, so bought a new power supply to put in, opened the case.

Found it has a 12-pin power connector?
First I thought it was AT, but it says clearly on the board printed next to it...ATX_POWER1.
I would try to add a picture...but I'm unsure how to, but I don't know what to do with this board.
I've tried to look it up through the printed name on the board, Acer Inc., but couldn't find a mobo list. Tried MSI...but the site is down, will try to look tonight just wanted to see if the knowledge base here has ever seen this before.

Motherboard version appears to be MS-7829 v1.1
But the only reference I found for this was a larger mobo with a 24-pin and four graphics card ports, where this one has one graphics port.

The Connector appears to be ATX as it is Molex socketed...(forgive me if I'm misusing the term, but I understand it to be fitted sockets to allow only one way insert)..where AT was not...so what type of connector is it? (Also the mobo has the separate 4-pin 12V socket)

My pc is:
Gateway DX-4885-UR21
i5-4330

If anyone has an idea of what this power socket type is it would be a huge help, I've never seen anything like it before. And if someone can tell me either A: how to upload a picture I can show what the socket looks like, or B can follow a link to imageshack or the like.

Thank you for your time and help!

Airman Howard

Solution
[ A number of recent Acer and Gateway desktops have this issue -- see this post: . "Which Acer & Gateway desktops have the proprietary 12-pin PSU-to-mobo connector?"
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2021321/acer-gateway-desktops-proprietary-pin-psu-mobo-connector.html ]

Custom DIY Adapter: . Plug Any Standard (24-pin) ATX PSU Into A Proprietary Acer/Gateway Motherboard

MUST-READ DISCLAIMER: . The procedure outlined herein is offered for hypothetical consideration and for discussion purposes only. . Undertaking the procedure [or any similar procedure] is bound to void any applicable warranties. . If the procedure is flawed (or not implemented correctly), your hardware may be damaged [fire may even be a...

ifixthings3322

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
Looks like that moddiy adapter should do the trick. I like the rest of you bought an Acer with the 12 pin power supply connector, and I found this thread very helpful. After attempting some staple pin removal tricks, I actually ended up making a pin remover myself similar to the original Molex pin remover as I found regular staples too flimsy. I had a Corsair 650 Watt PS with very tricky pins to remove. I used some images of a regular 20/24 pin ATX power supply pin diagram along with the 12 pin Acer style PS pinout diagram to compare to.

ATX Pinout

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTM3WDk5Mg==/z/qDcAAOSwGiRTqfSp/$_57.JPG

It helps to draw out the 12 pin diagram (H1 in the eBay image) and write the names of what goes where next to it (+12V, COM, etc) plus reference the wire colours as then it becomes simple unplug and plug.

I purchased a few of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310715120468

Swapping out the pins wasn't too difficult, but you really need a good pin removal tool or method as it can be frustrating. I ended up soldering a jumper pin to use between 2 and 3. You have to be careful where you solder the wire onto as the pin has two parallel metal guiding fins that slide into slots in the connector, and there isn't much room in there to get the pin to fully seat with the jumper soldered on. I used a pin from a dead power supply.

I then was able to install my Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 video card. That was a bit of a trick itself as Windows 8.1 shows a blank screen for the longest time. I didn't think it was working the first few tries, and after doing a few things like adjusting BIOS settings it still didn't work. I even flashed the BIOS to version A4 which didn't seem to do much, and I also tried installing the video card drivers without the card in (which resulted in some errors). What worked in the end was that I left it to boot with blank screens (I have two monitors attached with DVI cables), and Windows 8.1 eventually installed the driver and boom the monitors activated on their own. I had to leave it for some time though. I then was able to install the current drivers on and get everything adjusted to my liking.

So for those in the same boat, keep the faith, your Acer does pose some challenges in the way, but they can be worked around. I think that $19 adapter doesn't sound too bad as then you can swap out PS's much easier and quicker without needing to swap pins out.

byteccpro

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I have another question regarding this situation.

I have a Gateway DX4885-UR1B. I finally decided to swap out the 300W PSU with a Thermaltake 750W PSU (TR2 RX-750AH3CH) from an old unused PC. As we speak, I just bought the moddiy.com 24 pin to 12 pin adapter.

My question is aside from the 4 pin and the 12 pin connection, is there anything else I need to do? In my old computer, the Thermaltake PSU has dedicated PCI-Express cables connecting directly to the graphics card but I don't see any that is needed for the GTX645 in the Gateway. Also in the old PC, the SATA connectors were used as well but it seems like the SATA power is drawn from the motherboard in the Gateway. So does that mean all the extra cables are essentially useless now?

I just want to make sure everything is copacetic before I put everything back together and turn on the computer.

Thanks again for all the help in advance!

TRENDING THREADS