axan2003

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
My computer is not very old and has been running smoothly up until a few days ago. I turned off my computer and brought it to another location. I booted it up and when I log into my windows account, it shows my wallpaper and nothing else for a full 5 minutes or so. This used to take about 5 seconds. In the time I am waiting I can access the task manager and no suspicious processes seem to be running. I tried clicking on system restore and it just shows a blank white window with the title "system restore". (Also explorer.exe is running the whole time). Then when I finaly get to my desktop, the internet does not work for any programs. I figured this may be a different issue but my friends at the place could access it just fine as I have been able to many times in the past. When I bruoght it back home I had the same problem. I tried disk cleanup, defragmenting, and checkdsk and the problem is still there. Maybe it is a hardware issue and i knocked something loose when moving it? I did check for loose connections and could not find any and I dont see what would affect the startup and the internet at the same time. Please help.

axan2003

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
nevermind! I checked event logs and it said truevector internet terminated 292 times so I looked that up and it turned out to be part of Zonealarm firewall which I had updated before leaving. I uninstalled that and it is good as new. Looks like illbe sticking with windows firewall from now on.