Question Odd "soft crashing" issue that has plagued my system for months

Aug 22, 2018
Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K
GPU: ASUS GTX 970 STRIX
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 (now a different EVGA 950 that I don't have the specs for right now)
Mobo: ASUS P9X79 LE LGA 2011
RAM: HyperX FURY 8GB DDR3 1600
Windows 10, updated as of 4/7

My issue:

After a seemingly random amount of time, the image on my monitor screen will freeze for about 5 seconds, then my monitors will go dark with a "NO SIGNAL" message. I can still hear audio from my tower for maybe 20 seconds, then that goes out as well. After losing audio, the fans and lights inside my tower still run, but I am pretty sure the entire system is in sort of a coma at that point. I think this sort of "soft crash" is more likely to happen under loads like games that lean on the cpu, or video editing. The crash will happen when idling for extended periods as well. (over 20 minutes usually.)

Steps I have taken:

updating BIOS
Switching power cables for the graphics card
Dusting and cleaning out my case thoroughly
Reseating the gpu in its current pci slot
Changing the pci slot
Using a different gpu in each pci slot
uninstalling and reinstalling current drivers
rolling back drivers
editing the fan and clock speed in GPUtweak
Completely replacing the PSU and all power cables for the system

I took the pc into my local pc repair store, who could not replicate the issue, and thought that maybe the outlet I was using could not be functioning properly. I have tried using the system in different circuits in my apartment, and even in a different building, but the issue persists.

I have received a suggestion to replace the thermal paste on my gpu, but I have not seen any crazy temps (+65C) on it yet, and I am going to attempt that soon.

checking event viewer, the only critical event that happens is an event ID 41, which I am almost certain is me powering the machine down myself. I am likely doing something simple that is incorrect, and just wanted to double-check. Obviously not having to buy any new parts would be ideal.