Odd Things Happening w/ My Graphics Card

dukeofcrydee

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Out of the blue, when I reboot my system, my LCD doesn't detect that it's connected to the DVI port. But then when the boot process hits the Windows XP splash screen, all is normal.

This has been happening for a couple of weeks and just a couple of hours ago I got an NVIDIA System Sentinel error. First one I've ever seen. Saying it was clocking down my video card because it says it's not getting enough juice.

My system specs are:

Antec True 430 PSU
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT (AGP - Not Overclocked)
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
ASUS A7N8X-X REV 2.xx Motherboard

Try removing your video card and detaching all power connections to it. Since it's out of your computer you might as well clean of any dust.

Then reinstall the video card and reconnect the power cables.

That worked for my X1900XT when it was giving me problems. Meaning just about anytime I tried to play a game, my PC would immediately crash. Sometimes reseating the component just works somehow. And it hardly had any dust on it.

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I think this could be an issue regarding what your primary display adapter is.

Does your motherboard have onboard video? If it does, try plugging your screen into the onboard video socket and boot up then tell us if you can see all the POST details, the screen should turn off once you get to the point where your windows splash screen comes up. Tell us what happens and we'll go from there.

That could explain the screen not turning on till later but regarding the error I think mpilch has got that one answered

Redraider

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
it sounds like the port on your vid card is not the primary display for windows. check to see that your current display is display "1" in Windows or try hooking your monitor to the other port on your video card and see if it shows at post, before you get to Windows, then.