[SOLVED] Oddest Boot Up Problem I've Encountered

Oct 16, 2020
I have a cheap Acer Aspire laptop I keep in the event my main rig ever goes down unexpectedly, and to hook up to the television. It's very lightly used. Hardly any hours on it. Maybe a 1,000 at the most.

Windows prompted me for an update, so I pressed Restart and Update and let it do its thing. In the middle of the update it said something went wrong and "reversed all changes." Okay. I went back to watching television on the laptop and it suddenly crashed. A crash I've never experienced. Screen went green and static-ey with that old white noise TV sound, then shut down.

I turned it back on.. and well, here I am:

When I press the power button, the Acer screen comes on, then for half a second a command prompt box appears and disappears, then it flashes to the windows update screen for less than a second, then the screen goes black, then it goes back to the Acer screen. I left it on for hours and it continued the loop.

F8 doesn't work. Hard shut downs over and over don't produce Recovery Mode. Shift power on/off does nothing. I ran the battery all the way down to zero, took the battery out, (I had to unscrew the bottom.) I've done everything but put a backup of Windows on a flashdrive. I'll try it, but how would I boot it up?

Again:

Acer screen --> flash of the command prompt box --> flash of updating --> black screen --> Acer screen

This is not the looping update problem that is fixed with recovery mode or safe mode. I cannot for the life of me get into either of those. I'd hate for it to be a hardware issue, but I've never experienced a crash like that.

Solution
looks like a broken update...

now to get past the loop

i don't think any of the start up options would help really. Reset might work but it depends on what update was.

You can't get into safe mode in win 10 unless it can at least get as far as logon screen.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

set the laptop to boot off USB

is there anything you want to rescue?
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

if its only a spare rig, do a...

Colif

Win 11 Master
looks like a broken update...

now to get past the loop

i don't think any of the start up options would help really. Reset might work but it depends on what update was.

You can't get into safe mode in win 10 unless it can at least get as far as logon screen.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

set the laptop to boot off USB

is there anything you want to rescue?
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

if its only a spare rig, do a clean install and see if it fixes it
boot from installer

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution