ODROID-X: The $129 Quad-core Alternative to Raspberry Pi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
i am pretty sure that motorola is gonna sue them to change the name. You can't add a letter to any existing trade mark and call it your own. iCoke will bring lawyers upon you. (O)Droid-x will bring lawyers upon you. lol

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]i am pretty sure that motorola is gonna sue them to change the name. You can't add a letter to any existing trade mark and call it your own. iCoke will bring lawyers upon you. (O)Droid-x will bring lawyers upon you. lol[/citation]
Hell ye, i was sued by Apple for my "slide and open" door in my toilet

Hey this is an awesome new T-shirt text "I was sued by Apple" and you are all witnesses! i thought of it first! Oh do you think Apple will sue me for using the word apple?

G

Kind of silly that it doesn't come with a power adapter, so you need to pay extra in order to be able to turn the thing on.

richarduk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
One of the big selling points that these news articles forget is that the RPi foundation have stated that the hardware will be around for a long time. All well and good stuffing a nice chip with a load of IO, but if you're only going to make 10,000 of them and then stop it will get forgotten very quickly.

Apart from some bug fixes on the board the RPi will stay the same and will be around as longs as they can make it. There will also be a lot of them about, last time I checked they had shipped over 200,000 of them!

The Spectrum was not the best hardware, but being cheep and having a large user based made it a success.

richarduk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
[citation][nom]tracker1[/nom]With these devices breaching the $100 price point, just using a Mini-ITX solution becomes much more reasonable...[/citation]
Yes I agree, at work we put together a system for a few notes less than £200 and run Linux on it for a client. (Board, ram, power + case) x86 is still easier to develop for, for now.
But at $35 the RPi is worth the extra development costs as in the long run we'll be saving loads of cash. And the hardware will be around for a long time, important for a company. The RPi is also doing a lot to make the tools easier to work with. :)

G

Raspberry Pi in stock at MCM electronics....mine came in two days.

G

"Or you could get an Atom based PC for $70
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISA [...] 0714988840

I'm going to get a Pi (ordered it, but there's a 3 month wait) and if it can't do what I want for a CarPC, it'll still make a great HTPC and I'll probably get that Atom based PC instead.
Blessedman 08/04/2012 7:51 AM"
sure you could buy any "Atom based PC instead" but good luck software decoding full 1080P at up to 35 Mbit/s (hell, even decoding 10Mbit/s content) with ANY Atom
like the Quad ODROID-X can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll5n2jNjriM&feature=player_embedded

and watch your "Atom based PC" drain that car battery like theres no tomorrow, better start that engine and recharge it PDQ.

also you should donate that Pi to your local school, its what its designed for, this Quad ODROID-X is a DEVELOPER device so good for your carPC project etc , its not an off the shelf consumer black box

Status
Not open for further replies.