OEM KEY vs RETAIL KEY

alanps

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Hey everyone,
I'm planning to upgrade from Windows 7 to Professional 10.

Kinguin.net has good prices but there's two options, OEM key and Retail key.

Retail is considerably more expensive and I don't understand why. Google results are not clear regard this.

-

One more question: may I install Windows 10 without deleting my old stuff? I'm too lazy to make backups and format all drives. I just want to upgrade and keep my settings and everything where it belongs.

Thanks!

Solution

You can legally buy an OEM copy. Lets say i'm making gaming PCs for people. I can buy an OEM copy for the system. But being I would be the original equipment manufacturer, I would be responsible for any tech support the customer may need. (or the very least letting them there will be no tech support)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832588491&cm_re=windows_10_pro_oem-_-32-588-491-_-Product

OEM copeis can be upgraded. I've upgraded a...
Retail keys are not bound to the motherboard. They can be transferred from one PC to another so long as it's only one at a time. Retail keys also qualify for support from MS.

You can run a upgrade, just start the install from within the current install.

alanps

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

OEM keys are bound to the motherboard? So they are like a unique key one time use?

alanps

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

Mm, I see. Besides from that, is there any other pros/cons? I mean it's really cheaper OEM version than Retail but I assume that it will bring me some trouble in the future if I change my mobo or something like that.

alanps

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

Great, thanks for the info.

I have the Home version. Well then, I'll buy the retail version from Kinguin, it's kinda cheap compared to other sites and I'm looking forward to test this new OS. I hope is not like 8 one.

Thanks again!

Crixilian

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015
OEM (Original Equiptment Manufacture) is should not be sale, that product key is come along with laptop or computer when you buy from laptop/computer manufacture

so if you are going to buy a product key, you should buy retail version

as I known, OEM key couldn't be upgrade

You can legally buy an OEM copy. Lets say i'm making gaming PCs for people. I can buy an OEM copy for the system. But being I would be the original equipment manufacturer, I would be responsible for any tech support the customer may need. (or the very least letting them there will be no tech support)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832588491&cm_re=windows_10_pro_oem-_-32-588-491-_-Product

OEM copeis can be upgraded. I've upgraded a few in my systems already.

Solution