OEMs to Spend More on Chips for Wireless than for PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't surprising when you have 1 processor, and one central chip that handles about everything else for the device. Then you need a GPS, wifi B/G/N, 3G, 4G, Bluetooth, wirelessUSB, IR, (and I feel like I am still missing something); But you get the point, when your wireless chips outnumber your other necessary chips then Yes, you will spend more money on 'wireless' chips.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
with millions of people upgrading their iphones and android phones every generation(every year) its obvious that OEMs are going to spend more money making phone chips for the masses. PCs are usually upgraded when they break down(non enthusiasts)which can be up to a few years and even then phones have become the new PCs. I just hope that more money goes into developing new tech for PCs, phones are already ridiculously powerful enough for what they are.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]with millions of people upgrading their iphones and android phones every generation(every year) its obvious that OEMs are going to spend more money making phone chips for the masses. PCs are usually upgraded when they break down(non enthusiasts)which can be up to a few years and even then phones have become the new PCs. I just hope that more money goes into developing new tech for PCs, phones are already ridiculously powerful enough for what they are.[/citation]

i don't fit into what is traditionally an "enthusiast" category, mainly because that category is populated with people who get the best and have no need for it. but upgrading a computer when it breaks... even my pc illiterate parents upgrade their pcs before they break

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Notebooks and netbooks also use wireless chips, so there's an overlap between the two. A better comparison would be between wireless chips and computational chips - this includes CPUs and GPUs in every category including microcomputers and cell phones.

G

agnickolov, I'm pretty sure the term "wireless" in the context of his article referrers to mobile phones. It wouldn't make sense to compare the cost of a wireless "chip" with the cost of a pc. It means that OEMS pay more money to make phone cpus than desktop cpus.

Status
Not open for further replies.