News Off means off: Splave Edition PSU has no residual power, discharges as soon as you flick the switch

I guess if that is important to you. Most motherboards have led and other fancy stuff that pull power when the machine is shutdown but the power switch is still on. Those will quickly drain the caps when you turn the switch off or unplug it.

For your average uses the small bit of extra power stored in the caps is a good thing. Acts as a tiny UPS to get past those power hits that a fraction of a second.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I guess if that is important to you. Most motherboards have led and other fancy stuff that pull power when the machine is shutdown but the power switch is still on. Those will quickly drain the caps when you turn the switch off or unplug it.
This.

And if that LED doesn't drain it fast enough for you, then I'd suggest these overclockers should probably attach a resistor or similar (light bulb?).

I think I've also seen the Ethernet activity LED being active in this period (network needs to stay on, during "soft" poweroff state, in order to support "wake on LAN").

For your average uses the small bit of extra power stored in the caps is a good thing. Acts as a tiny UPS to get past those power hits that a fraction of a second.
I think this is what they mean by "hold up time", which you often see measured in PSU reviews.

BTW, I recently did some minor work on a motherboard (grinding off some of the leads poking through the bottom side... it's a longer story) and neglected to remove the CMOS battery, during the process. When I powered it on, it went through a couple reboots and the BIOS reset itself. My best guess is that I had shorted out something that was being powered by that battery, leading to some sort of corruption in the settings and thus the need for it to wipe everything out and start from factory defaults.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If the main goal is to quickly and easily clear CMOS, just get a motherboard with an external clear CMOS button? Pretty sure most high end mobos (the kinds series overclockers would be using anyway) already include that.

Reactions: bit_user

Latest posts