Office 13 Retail May Be Bound to One PC Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

meluvcookies

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Goodbye forever MS Office. I quite like MS Office 2010, and I'm happy to hang onto it. I'd NEVER buy a piece of software under that kind of restriction.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
wow if this is the case microsoft is going to lose a lot of costumers for their office suite. Can you imagine spending 300 dollars on a office 2013 suite and your hard drive crashed and you had to go buy a new hard drive, just to find out you also had to buy another 300 dollar copy office 2013 suite again!

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Simple solution.. Do not buy it.
I use Office 2000 and just 'upgraded' to 2003 simply because I got a good deal on a -still sealed- upgrade pack.
Only noticeable difference? Yeah, the screen layout, buttons etc are in different places.
But let's face it, most of use use it to do some spreadsheets, basic database stuff ( heavy duty web DB work goes to MySQL anyway) and some Word documents.
Different font sizes, bold, italic... include a photo, graph or some such.
I bet that's what 90++ % of the users do with it. So what do I give about M$ trying to fudge me over on Office 2013; a product who's main reason for existence is to cover a boat load of paychecks for M$.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
This absolutely stinks. Absolutely. Loved to use office in the past. I got it cheap, usually on sales, used it forever, transferring it all over the place if the system up and died, or I simply upgraded. How will this affect upgrading hardware? Does that mean if I change motherboards I have to worry about my license suddenly not working? Microsoft, the gaming industry, all these companies trying to kill off the ability to use easily or reuse software, is really getting on my nerves.

mrmez

Splendid
People wonder why iOS et at. is so commercially successful. While there are many factors, ease of installation and transfer is a significant factor.

Make software stupidly easy to buy, install, use and transfer.
Buy an app for my iPhone, transfer it to my iPad. New phone, everything transfers over with a few clicks. Same with Apple computers. Get a new one, click restore. Done.

I wouldn't say goodbye to Office 2013, just hello to a pirated copy.

meluvcookies

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Microsoft seems set to destroy any good will between it and its loyalists. I've never owned a mac, but I'm seriously considering it for my next laptop purchase simply because I've been appalled by Microsoft's recent attitude towards consumers. I hate to draw a parallel (because I'm not a console gamer), but it's as bad as the rumors about "no used games" for the xbox 720...but this is worse, because it affects so many people looking for good, reliable, and consistent productivity software.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]meluvcookies[/nom]Microsoft seems set to destroy any good will between it and its loyalists. I've never owned a mac, but I'm seriously considering it for my next laptop purchase simply because I've been appalled by Microsoft's recent attitude towards consumers. I hate to draw a parallel (because I'm not a console gamer), but it's as bad as the rumors about "no used games" for the xbox 720...but this is worse, because it affects so many people looking for good, reliable, and consistent productivity software.[/citation]

I'll be going linux as soon as steam support is fully there for my favorite owned games.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Ohhh bad call MS, bad call. I hope the corporate 365 subscriptions make up for the lost home user business. Oh, wait, businesses don't use new versions of office either.

running 2013 Pro enterprise license edition i got through work
I use outlook for work,excel,word,publisher
nice feature is opening more than one excel workbook to compare
also uses GPU acceleraton
also we have our work files on Skydrive pro so I can access them anywhere
for a home user get a sealed copy of 2007 on Craigslist cheap and you are good
but for a professional you need at least 2010 office
face it libre is great for free but in business environment you need M$ Office

G

Sounds like Microsoft sucks, Apple sucks, they all want to drain you dry and become billionaires.

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
isn't that illegal?
i'm sure there's some law regarding software licenses (something about that they cannot be locked to one machine or something)

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
"If that computer happens to crash, then the Office 2013 license dies with it, thus customers are not only forced to purchase a new rig, but a new copy of Office 2013.."

This has to be illegal or it should be.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
[citation][nom]thefiend1[/nom]who needs office anymore when you have google docs and such?[/citation]

Who wants google reading all of your documents?

[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]wow if this is the case microsoft is going to lose a lot of costumers for their office suite. Can you imagine spending 300 dollars on a office 2013 suite and your hard drive crashed and you had to go buy a new hard drive, just to find out you also had to buy another 300 dollar copy office 2013 suite again![/citation]
Not quite right. If you replace a HDD then you simply reinstall your office suite like normal. No big deal.
The company I work for is a refurbisher and MS looks at a machine as the housing/case + motherboard/CPU (and even the CPU can usually be replaced without issue). So unless something has changed (which I doubt) then you are talking about still having the ability to change/upgrade/replace most aspects of a machine, so long as the core devices (case, mobo, cpu) are all still present and accounted for.
If the system fails and needs a new motherboard and you have an OEM license, then it is typically just a simple chat with MS to explain that the system died, and the change in motherboard is due to a replacement, and not a new build. I would imagine that this new license scheme is very similar.
For laptop users this is rough as it is rarely worth fixing a system, so most of the time you simply replace it, which in this case would also mean a new copy of Office. For desktop users though, MS has always been quite lenient. The problem that MS has is that PC (desktop) hardware is so fluid that there is no practical way for them to know if your 5 year old system died, and so you replaced it with modern parts as a repair, or if you simply upgraded the system without a failure, or if you replaced the system entirely with a fresh new build. MS is not about to call their customers liars and thieves, so they have typically let system builders get away with just about anything. It will be interesting with these new policies to see if they continue to do this, or if MS will crack down on it and stop letting users abuse the system. I remember when XP Home came out there was a lot of worry because MS would only allow users to upgrade up to 3 major hardware components over a 4 (or 6?) month period. But there was no way for them to properly enforce it, so it never really became a problem. Will this be much the same? Or does MS have new tricks up their sleeve?

Still, the new Office terms absolutely suck. Office (Home and Student anyways) use to be good for 3 devices for $140. I personally use it on 2, and found it to be a fair deal. But now I 'get' to pay the exact same price PER MACHINE rather than per household. That is a raw deal. I am not about to drop $280 on Office to upgrade us from 2007. I typically upgrade every 2 revisions (~6 years), and I was prepared to pay my $140 for Office Home and Student 2013 for my home... but I am not going to sit down and pay 2x as much for something that is largely a cosmetic upgrade.

Office 365 is not a bad deal as you are allowed to have it on up to 5 devices at a time, and those devices can change over time, and you get the entire office suite plus extra Skydrive space. With the old way of doing things then we are talking about a $500 office suite per machine every 3 years, plus $20/yr for the added skydrive space. Instead you are talking about $300 over the same period, for 5 machines instead of 1. That is a phenomenal deal for families with kids who have their own computers! You would be nearly foolish to not jump on this if you had the 5 machines to put it on.
Only problem for me is that I do not purchase the full Office suite, I purchase Home and Student, and even then only every 6 years. So then we are talking about jacking up my actual costs of using office up by $460 over a 6 year period. That is not such a great deal, so no thank you! When MS comes out with an Office 365 package with 20GB of skydrive for $40/yr for 2 machines then I will consider it. Even if they charged $50/yr for 2-3 machines I would probably jump on it, but $100 for the 'privileged' of using it on machines that don't exist is silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.