Office 15 Public Beta Arriving This Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
As much good as Office can be, 90% of the population buys office even though they never use most of the features and openoffice or libreoffice would work just as well for them.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I thought I missed something there when I saw Office 15 as I knew 2007 to be version 12 and never bothered to upgrade to 2010 but assumed that was 13 until I checked and realised they skipped 13 due to superstition.

I'll judge it when it comes out and see which of the new features I am likely to use, if any.

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
The way I see people use Office, they may as well stick with 2003. All the "advanced" features of Office 2007 and above, such as *gasp* headings and references, are still being done manually.

One gripe I have with Office though. You can't add in your custom reference style easily. I wish that the new Office would allow you add your own new reference template, and embed it into the file, allowing every computer to be able to display the format easily.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Most people only need the very basic components of Office (Home Edition). There are people like me though who use Excel for VBA, Outlook, Visio, and OneNote a lot that needs an update. I am most excited about updates to both the mobile version of Office and also to Office in Hotmail.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]jryan388[/nom]As much good as Office can be, 90% of the population buys office even though they never use most of the features and openoffice or libreoffice would work just as well for them.[/citation]

The only reason I use Microsoft Office is because during my time in college we were taught to use it.
Almost everything I'm doing throughout my certificates (currently doing my Diploma) is Microsoft-Related.

While using Microsoft office I noticed a lot of compatibility issues between OpenOffice/LibreOffice.

Understand I'm not being biased, but Microsoft Office is standard and using OpenOffice/LibreOffice at home and trying to use those files at work/college I noticed a lot of those issues.

I'm pretty much forced to use Microsoft Office for all of my work now.

I wish Microsoft would address some of these issues, but I know they won't..
The idea is to crush competition for profit, not to work alongside with them.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
A lot of these comments are kind of like saying that most people should use Fox-it reader 2.2 instead of Adobe Acrobat Reader 10(X) because most people don't need anything more than fox-it. Makes sense.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Having just graduated, I ended up un-installing Office completely to make space for more games. However, it was an unnecessary move on my part as Office occupied at most 5 GB out of the many hundreds free that I have. Perhaps it's just me, but just running Office reminds me of the school-old-days. Days I'd rather forget, as perpetual nights were spent beginning to draft all night essays due the following morning. At any rate, I guess I'm pretty lucky that my work does not require the use of document and presentation tools. And if they are required, I just draft away on GoogleDocs and use the office computers to complete them. Meanwhile, my rig at home is free to game knowing it won't be interrupted by silly projects. Ah, to finally be free. :D

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I just hope they improve the HTML exporting in Word because it's really pathetic in Word 2010 SP1. There's a lot of crap to clean up, even it's saved as 'Filtered HTML'.

Come on, Microsoft. Put those billions of $$$ to use.

megiv

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Please give me a chance to use it as we all did back in 2003 - without the Ribbon !!! the ribbon is just a bad gimmick

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]jryan388[/nom]As much good as Office can be, 90% of the population buys office even though they never use most of the features and openoffice or libreoffice would work just as well for them.[/citation]

Which is why I only get Home and Student Edition. Word, Excel and maybe from time to time PowerPoint is all I need. I made the big mistake back in 2003 getting Office 2003 Professioanl Edition which ended up being a big waste of money.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I wonder what they mean by this being the "most ambitious undertaking..."

I use Office like most others, but agree that far too few people use the features we pay for. At several hundred dollars a license, it's a serious cash cow for Microsoft.

dietcreamsoda

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
OpenOffice is a slow, doggy, 1990's-looking, piece of crap. For simple usage, I really like where google docs is going though. For something more robust, the basic versions of Office are pretty cheap now.

john365

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Eagerly waiting for this one. MS Office 15 seems promising but there are many new entrants in the market which will make it big in this league. One such product is CollateBox : http://www.collatebox.com/ really looking forward for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.