Question Office 2010 activation issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
I have a spare desktop with office pro plus 2010 installed but can't get it to activate, says product key is not valid and also says its not a key for office 2010. Also says phone activation is not supported for this product. Is there a way to tell what product the key is intended for? This has been activated before

The activation servers for that product have been shut down and Microsoft will not provide activation services for it any longer. Those products already installed and activated will continue to function. However, new/reinstallations cannot be activated. The subscription model is where they want you now.

And before anyone starts posting ways around this...... Don't......

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i still use office 2007 :)

it never had an activation server so it's still good to go. does what i need it to :)

you can run office 2016 unactivated if you need something urgently. it just pops up a window saying it is unactivated. close it and then work away.

other option is to use the free office browser version. log in with your MS account at office.com and you can use the basic apps and features online for free. it saves to onedrive by default but you can download your file to your local pc for other use if needed.

If you look hard enough on the internet, you can find the old phone number to call to activate 2010 software by phone. I found it earlier this year when i needed to activate my copy of Visio Pro 2010, got the you have installed the software to many times and phone activation is not supported for this product. A quick google search found the old number and called to reactivate the software.

I did this back at the end of march, so unless they recently shut down the activation servers you should be able to call..... if you find the number. But i sounds like you have other issues as you dont have the right key for the software, you need to figure that out first be fore moving forward.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
The activation servers for that product have been shut down and Microsoft will not provide activation services for it any longer. Those products already installed and activated will continue to function. However, new/reinstallations cannot be activated. The subscription model is where they want you now.

And before anyone starts posting ways around this...... Don't......

Are you saying activation servers have been shut down for 2010 and earlier versions or just 2010?

I can't recall exactly where I got this version, typically I get from either amazon or ebay and make sure it is a cd version. The 2010 installed is not installed on any other machine.

On having the wrong key apparently, is there a way to find out what version that key goes to? And if that is the wrong key, why would it let me install it with that key? Not even sure where I got the key, I mean I have a list of all the software and what keys goes with what software but for this version, I don't have that on the list. Been trying to rack my brain to figure out where I got it.

USAFRet

Titan
Are you saying activation servers have been shut down for 2010 and earlier versions or just 2010?

I can't recall exactly where I got this version, typically I get from either amazon or ebay and make sure it is a cd version. The 2010 installed is not installed on any other machine.

On having the wrong key apparently, is there a way to find out what version that key goes to? And if that is the wrong key, why would it let me install it with that key? Not even sure where I got the key, I mean I have a list of all the software and what keys goes with what software but for this version, I don't have that on the list. Been trying to rack my brain to figure out where I got it.
2010 and earlier.
Quite possibly 2013 and earlier.

And no, there is no way to find out what a random license key goes to.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can start some serious searching and see if someone out there has documented the structure of the various keys. but no guarantee someone has. i recall back in the day you could find the structure for the many win XP keys that were out there. oem, retail, media center edition and so on.

you might get lucky though and be able to figure out if it is even an office key.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
I googled the key in question and there are several results that bring up that same key. Apparently, it is a Windows OS key, possibly Windows 7. One post said could be a generic key that OEM's used to activate hundreds of systems and would be useless for activation.

Now thinking the method I used to try and find the Office key actually found the OS key.

USAFRet

Titan
I googled the key in question and there are several results that bring up that same key. Apparently, it is a Windows OS key, possibly Windows 7. One post said could be a generic key that OEM's used to activate hundreds of systems and would be useless for activation.

Now thinking the method I used to try and find the Office key actually found the OS key.
A Windows OS license will not activate an Office install.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
A Windows OS license will not activate an Office install.

I realize that. Thought the method I used to find the office key, which was make a vbs script which I found by googling, gave me a key for OS but doesn't seem to be the case either. The key I got from the script does not make what pcunlocker shows me.

Not sure what is going on, I have a program called pcunlocker and it has an option to find product keys. That gave me a key for office but is different than the first one I found. Well I opened word and went to where you can change product key and used that key that pcunlocker gave me and I was able to get to the install office screen. When I click on customize install, brings up a screen asking for name and organization. I left all that blank and it continued on and finished install process. But still word and excel still shows not activated and still says invalid key when I try to active over internet.

And again 2nd key I found does not match up with any keys I have wrote down. So not sure what is happening.

USAFRet

Titan
If what you have is not working, the only recourse is to call MS.
Who are unlikely to do anything with Office 2010.

Possibly give up on Office 2010, and use an alternate.
LibreOffice is almost but not quite 100% compatible. And 100% free.

Below is link to supposed official MS work-around if standard activation attempts for Office 2010 fail. Note the 866 toll free number.

I don't know if it will help, but worth an attempt?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...g-office-9b016cd2-0811-4cb3-b896-5a6a13177713

866-421-7141

I also found the following comment from someone who apparently used that 866 number very recently:

https://borncity.com/win/2021/07/29/microsoft-office-2010-keine-aktivierung-mehr/#comment-15549

"This did work for me. The process was a little long but it ended up working. I called the number given at the website (I'm in the USA). When I called the number I got a computer asking me through some prompts. It asked if it could send me a text with instructions. I did so, but the text instructions did not work. However, the text instructions offered to connect me a representative. I chose that option and got a live person. I was able to read off the 9 block x 6 digit activation ID to him, and he responded with an 8 block x 6 digit code, which successfully activated my product. The writer above said that when he called a person, Microsoft said that there were no circumstances that would allow them to activate Office 2010, but the person he was talking to was incorrect, because my representative was actually able to do it. He was aware this was Office 2010 and it didn't cause any problems."

Last edited:

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
If what you have is not working, the only recourse is to call MS.
Who are unlikely to do anything with Office 2010.

Possibly give up on Office 2010, and use an alternate.
LibreOffice is almost but not quite 100% compatible. And 100% free.

I realize I maybe wasting my time with this. After all it actually still works although not sure if I lost any functionality or will stop working with time. And I know there are free options out there. But this is one of those things that is bugging me.

Below is link to supposed official MS work-around if standard activation attempts for Office 2010 fail. Note the 866 toll free number.

I don't know if it will help, but worth an attempt?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...g-office-9b016cd2-0811-4cb3-b896-5a6a13177713

866-421-7141

I also found the following comment from someone who apparently used that 866 number very recently:

https://borncity.com/win/2021/07/29/microsoft-office-2010-keine-aktivierung-mehr/#comment-15549

"This did work for me. The process was a little long but it ended up working. I called the number given at the website (I'm in the USA). When I called the number I got a computer asking me through some prompts. It asked if it could send me a text with instructions. I did so, but the text instructions did not work. However, the text instructions offered to connect me a representative. I chose that option and got a live person. I was able to read off the 9 block x 6 digit activation ID to him, and he responded with an 8 block x 6 digit code, which successfully activated my product. The writer above said that when he called a person, Microsoft said that there were no circumstances that would allow them to activate Office 2010, but the person he was talking to was incorrect, because my representative was actually able to do it. He was aware this was Office 2010 and it didn't cause any problems."

Ty for the info, I will try that when I have some extra time.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
If you do that, please update this thread telling us what happened.

I'm interested because I have Office 2010 Retail right now and may be faced with a new install within 6 months.

I went ahead and called that number. According to them, the product key I gave them is a non genuine key. So unless I use a different key, that one is not getting activated. I really can't recall how this happened, don't recall where I got this version from. But I only try to buy genuine versions, I know still possible to get a fake product. But me not having this version wrote down on my key list and not having a cd for it is kind of bugging me as to where and how I got it. I have an installation folder for this version so guess that means I downloaded it from somewhere but not sure where. Typically I will only try to buy genuine products, just for the sake of could cause more issues later on going non genuine. When installing office, did they stop requiring you to enter the product key during installation?

In your case, even if you have trouble activating and have to call them, I don't think you will have an issue if you are sure the key is genuine. It didn't take as long as I thought it would. During the prompts, it asked me if I wanted them to text me a link for some type of app and I said no on that and was able to connect to a live person shortly after that. As with most customer support, got a foreign person and kind of had trouble understanding each other.

USAFRet

Titan
I went ahead and called that number. According to them, the product key I gave them is a non genuine key. So unless I use a different key, that one is not getting activated. I really can't recall how this happened, don't recall where I got this version from. But I only try to buy genuine versions, I know still possible to get a fake product. But me not having this version wrote down on my key list and not having a cd for it is kind of bugging me as to where and how I got it.
If MS says it is not valid, it is not valid.

In your case, even if you have trouble activating and have to call them, I don't think you will have an issue if you are sure the key is genuine. It didn't take as long as I thought it would. During the prompts, it asked me if I wanted them to text me a link for some type of app and I said no on that and was able to connect to a live person shortly after that. As with most customer support, got a foreign person and kind of had trouble understanding each other.

Thanks for that info.

I am positive my key is legit and "retail" version; purchased in DVD form.

Did those you talk to give ever refer to "Office 2010 can't be activated any more" or anything like that? Did they outright say it could?

It seems to be a common opinion on the net that it cannot be activated. Good news if that is wrong.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Thanks for that info.

I am positive my key is legit and "retail" version; purchased in DVD form.

Did those you talk to give ever refer to "Office 2010 can't be activated any more" or anything like that? Did they outright say it could?

It seems to be a common opinion on the net that it cannot be activated. Good news if that is wrong.

They never said it couldn't be activated, never said it could either. But up until recently, me or someone in my family was using a version as early as 2000 and 2007 and it was still working with no issues. Had no problems activating either.

They never said it couldn't be activated, never said it could either. But up until recently, me or someone in my family was using a version as early as 2000 and 2007 and it was still working with no issues. Had no problems activating either.

Thank you.

I'm using 2010 without incident.................but I have not installed it in 6 years.

Only "issue" is that I periodically get an onscreen notice that 2010 is not "supported".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS